Using Win XP's Firewall & VPN

This only happens with Windows XP computers. Computers with Windows 2000 can be using VPN and get backup without any problem. When my XP users turn on their VPN, Retrospect does not see their computer. I can turn off the XP’s firewall, or I can turn off their VPN session and then Retrospect will see their computer. What is confusing me is the XP Firewall is set with all the default settings. I add Retrospect’s port 497 TCP & UDP in the exceptions tab. Why is XP’s Firewall blocking out Retrospect when VPN is on?

Hi

Check your firewall settings and make sure that port 497 is open for both UDP and TCP. I would guess that UDP is being blocked right now.

One time I had to set the firewall to block port 497 completely, reboot then unblock the ports before it would work.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

VPN connections can cause lots of problems:

-They can route all multicast responses to the VPN adapter instead of the local lan.

-They can disallow local network access

-They can impose other firewall rules etc.

In short, VPN connections can cause problems with client connectivity. At this point your best bet is to try to bind the client to the local IP address using the command line Retroclient -ip command. Either that or try adding a separate NIC to the machine.

Thanks

Nate

Nate, I have several computers with this problem, so adding a second NIC is not an option.

I am not familiar with the "Retroclient -ip command". How does it work and how should I use it? Can I use it to bind to an Active Directory name instead of an IP?

Thank you for all your help.

Archived