Recommendation for backup devices to use

sunspots2002

I have been using Retrospect for about 2 years (off and on). The backup procedure falls over with me, as it is a time consuming activity as I use CDRW for backup.

I have to laptops each with Win XP Prof (one with SP1 & the other with SP2). Each using about 10Gigs of their respective drives. My backup policy was to only backup the important data (ie documents, and the like) but want to be more comprehensive and do the whole drive.

Except using CDRW you can only fit 700Megs per CDRW. I did look at buying a DVDRW (HP in particular) but it didn't seem to be recommended for USB1 connections.

I'm interested in hearing about what others do and the devices that are used.

Thanks

Quote:

I have been using Retrospect for about 2 years (off and on). The backup procedure falls over with me, as it is a time consuming activity as I use CDRW for backup.

I have to laptops each with Win XP Prof (one with SP1 & the other with SP2). Each using about 10Gigs of their respective drives. My backup policy was to only backup the important data (ie documents, and the like) but want to be more comprehensive and do the whole drive.

Except using CDRW you can only fit 700Megs per CDRW. I did look at buying a DVDRW (HP in particular) but it didn't seem to be recommended for USB1 connections.

I'm interested in hearing about what others do and the devices that are used.

Thanks

External USB hard drives.

Make sure your system supports USB 2, if not, also buy a USB 2 card.

USB 1.1 is too slow.

Check the small print on the package or web site for one of todays external HDs.

Such as my ACOMData external HD which can be used for either FireWire & Hi Speed USB 2.0:

It states that "you can connect the drive to a USB 1.0 port, however;

the drive will operate at significantly lower speeds".

Think this is referred to as "backward compatible".

Quote:

Check the small print on the package or web site for one of todays external HDs.

Such as my ACOMData external HD which can be used for either FireWire & Hi Speed USB 2.0:

Do NOT use a hard drive with USB 1, it is way too slow.

If there is a slot, add a USB 2 card to the notebook, or replace, if any, its separate USB 1 card.

Quote:

Quote:

Do NOT use a hard drive with USB 1, it is way too slow.

If there is a slot, add a USB 2 card to the notebook, or replace, if any, its separate USB 1 card.

Ooops, I see that you have no available card slots.

I don't know how often you do backups, or how easy it is to change cards, but you could swap one of the cards for a USB 2 card each time you do a backup.

In your situation, I would buy a USB2/Firewire PCMCIA card. You don't need the network connection to do a local backup on your notebooks, so you could easily remove the network card and insert the USB2/Firewire card into each notebook whenever you want to backup to an external USB2 or Firewire hard-drive! Btw, PCMCIA cards are available as USB2 only, Firewire only, or as a combo of both.

Cheers!

Why not install Retrospect on each laptop, buy one USB2/Firewire PCMCIA card and one external USB2/Firewire hard-drive (these can be shared between your laptops). Then you could back-up each of them to the external drive which you can store in a safe place. That way, if anything happens (e.g., theft, damage) to either laptop, you have a backup of your important 'stuff' in a safe place.

Here's a combo card for $33 from Newegg (a very reliable dealer)...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=15-121-001&ATT=PC+Cards+PCMCIA+Add+&CMP=KNC-goog13

Btw, they have USB2-only cards for under $20 (as well as the external drives)!

~pv

Archived