Win 2000 W/ Retrospect 6.0 hangs when OS X Client Sleeps / Disconnects from Network during Backup

I have an issue with my Win 2000 Server running Retrospect Multi-Server v6.0. The server seems to hang if/when OS X Client Sleeps / Disconnects from network during backup.

I am using Proactive backups.

The server's proc usaga spikes to 100% and the only way to stop it is to kill the retrospect server executable. Then to add insult to injury; I then need to recreate the backup set from tape as the crash causes the backup set to become out of sync.

Occasionally I get an error -519 after I kill the retrospect executableI have an issue with my Win 2000 Server running Retrospect Multi-Server v6.0. The server seems to hang if/when OS X Client Sleeps / Disconnects from network during backup.

I am using Proactive backups.

The server's proc usage spikes to 100% (+95% is retrospect.exe) and the only way to stop it is to kill the retrospect server executable. Then to add insult to injury; I then need to recreate the backup set from tape as the crash causes the backup set to become out of sync.

Occasionally I get an error -519 after I kill the retrospect executable.

I have tried checking my OS X network settings… I have adjusted the DHCP lease times… anything else to try?

Server: Win 2000 5.00.2195 SP4

Retrospect Multi Server Edition V 6.0.206

Clients: Apple PowerBook G4 OS X 10.3.5

Retrospect Client for OS X v5.0.540

I only have a few OS X Clients... but it seems to happen on all of them. It seems to occur if they disconnect from the network or sleep while backing up.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi

Retrospect 6.0 for Windows pre-dates OSX 10.3 by a year or more. It may be a compatibility problem. You could try the trial version of 6.5 to see if you have better luck.

You may also want to try reinstalling the network drivers on your backup machine. There may be some problems there that are preventing the connection from terminating properly.

Thanks

Nate

Archived