Lacie DVD-RAM/-R FW drive not recognised

The problem:

Retrospect 5.1.177 and latest version of 6.0.2xx (downloaded it yesterday) will not recognise DVD-RAM 4.7gig disks in the Configure window, it just takes 2+ hours to TRY and configure, and then quits unexpectedly.

Unfortunately this is a non-supported drive, according to the full list.

I have a G4 350mhz, OS X 10.3.5, using a FW Panasonic/Matshita DVD-RAM/DVD-R external drive. Don't have the exact model no, but will supply when I get home. The drive works ncorrectly in the Finder.

Questions:

How do I custom configure this drive to use DVD-RAM disks (already HFS+ formatted with Disk Utility)?

Do I know to use another disk formatting program?

Sorry, last question should have read:

Do I have to use a special disk formatting program, if there is one?

In addition to the first question:

What disk should I use first, a DVD-R or a DVD-RAM disk, and does it matter?

Also, should I custom configure the drive when I acturally start to do a backup [with the backup set setup to use 'removable' disks], or use the Device window before backing up?

Someone please HEELLLLPPP!!!

Phew! Sorted it.

After all that trouble configuring it, and hopefully for the last time, the FW DVD-RAM drive is now recognised in Retro Desktop 5.1, and I didn't have to do anything?! It just recognised it while setting up a new backup set and then proceeding to do a backup. I don't get it... so long as it works.

Although I did test it on a newer Mac (Mirror Door G4, 1.25Ghz), perhaps the FW hardware & firmware is better than my old 350Mhz G4 Graphite. Oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am still having the same problem with a G4, OS10.2.8, Retrospect 5.1.177 and an LG DVD drive. While I can get Retrospect to consider backing up to the DVD-RAM disk when declaring it as Removable media (though it doesn't complete the first disk), I cannot configure a DVD-RAM though it wil configure a DVD-RW disk. How can I use the DVD-RAM for backup. Eventually I want to be able to use a double layer disk for backup. At present there doesn't seem to be any chance of that frown.gif.

regards, Robert

Hi

There is an important distinction to make here:

With DVD-RAM Retrospect treats the disk like a removeable disk (zip, Jaz, syquest etc). That means OSX handles all the read and write operations to the DVD-RAM disk. As a result you don't need to run the drive configuration wizard to use DVD-RAM media. As long as the disk mounts in the finder it should "just work" in Retrospect.

DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW media require Retrospect to load a driver in order to write to the discs. If that driver is not included in a Retrospect Driver Update package you have to run the auto configuration wizard to create one.

The bad news in your case is that the auto-configuration wizard does not support dual layer media in Retrospect 5.1. You would need to go to Retrospect 6.0 for that.

Thanks

Nate

Archived