Help! Lost encryption key.

I somehow lost my DES encrytion key. I had my script set up to enter it automatically. I wonder if there's a way I can recover it from that or from the data set. I'm using Retrospect 4.3. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

The script is lost but I may be able to recover the config file that it's in. However it was only set to allow backing up, not any access. I guess I could use ResEdit or a text editor on a test config to see if I can find it in there. Otherwise, I was hoping that I might be able to crack the key if it won't take too many years. I could also try to find that in the catalog with ResEdit.

Dan

I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding. Exactly what kind of security did you have set up? Did you delete the script, or lose the config files altogether? Do you have any other backup sets with the config file that's unsecured?

I had it set up to use DES encryption, if that's the kind of security set up you're asking about.

I did not delete the script, but my config file is lost. I am still trying to recover it from the hard drive, and I might be able to recover it from my other backup set for which I have the correct DES key, however that backup set is giving me major problems (error 206) and the Travan tape cartridge is making an unusually loud noise, which makes me want to investigate that further before trying to access it again (accidents often are caused by two problems coinciding). I am considering taking apart a new cartridge and transfering the tape to that. It seems that if I do that first I risk losing everything on it while if I try to access the "Retro.Config (4.2))" file I may damage the tape. The noisy tape is a couple days newer than the one with the lost key, so it would be nice if I could get as much as possible off of it. I don't have the "Retro.Config (4.2))" file anywhere else.

Dan

Archived