Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'read-only'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Announcements, News and Resources
    • Latest News
  • Windows Products-Retrospect
    • Professional
    • Server, SBS and Multi Server
    • Device and Hardware Compatibility-Windows
    • Exchange Server Add-On Support
    • SQL Server Agent
    • Linux, Unix and Netware Clients
    • Express for Windows
    • Product Suggestions-Windows
  • Mac OS X Products-Retrospect
    • Retrospect 9 or higher for Macintosh
    • Retrospect 8 For Macintosh
    • Retrospect 6: Desktop, Workgroup and Server for Mac OS X
    • Device and Hardware Compatibility-Mac OS X
    • Linux Clients
    • Product Suggestions-Mac OS X
  • Macintosh OS 9 and Earlier-Retrospect
    • Express, Desktop, Workgroup and Server for Pre-OS X
    • Device and Hardware Compatibility Pre OS X
  • General Discussion-Retrospect
    • Networking and Clients
    • Strategy, Scripts and General Use
    • Retrospect iPhone App
  • Retrospect 8.x for Mac
  • Retrospect 6.1 for Mac
  • Retrospect 7.7 for Windows
  • Retrospect 7.6 for Windows
  • Retrospect Express
  • General Discussion

Categories

There are no results to display.


Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 2 results

  1. I just upgraded a client to 11.5, and none of the backups worked! After a bit of debugging, I figured out that the problem is that the path to the catalog and the members all contain the bullet (option-8) in the path. I moved the sets, updated the sets in the retro console, and it seems to work now. This was an upgrade from 10.5 to 11.5. This was working fine in 10.5, so the bug was introduced at 11.x version.
  2. I try to do my installs with a "system" user who owns and installs all of the applications. In general, I can set all of the applications to read-only, so that even a user who does something pretty dumb can't do much damage. This is also something that is commonly done with enterprise setups, where "approved" applications are kept on a network server, and are strictly read-only because they are shared among many users. The Retrospect console is a single application, and when it is installed according to the implied instructions on the installer disk, the single app is placed in a folder in the /Applications folder, and on first run, parts of that application are moved from the bundle to the folder. Two problems with this: 1. The files so moved are set up with "0777" permissions - that is world read/write/execute. This means that anyone on the system can scribble on them, remove them, rename them, or otherwise screw them up. If I am trying to keep my machine relatively secure this is "bad". 2. If I install the Retrospect console as "admin" and then first launch it as a normal user, these files are not moved from the bundle. I have not yet explored what this means, but it is clear that the difference in behavior will be puzzling to someone in addition to me. My suggestion is that the application should definitely be set up so that if I want to have the folder and all its content be read-only, it should be possible. Bonus points if it is also easy. If the ease of installation of having the bundle contents in the app is important, the step of moving the components to the enclosing folder should be explicit and should request authorization explicitly rater than simply failing as it does now.
×