Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About rkunert

  • Rank
    Occasional Forum Poster
  1. I upgraded my home machine (dual 1.8 GHz G5, 1.5 GB of RAM) to Tiger, and upgraded Retrospect to 6.0.212. Created a new backup set on an external FW 800 drive. Backup set is encrypted 3DES. These are exactly the same settings I've always used, but with Panther and the previous version of Retrospect I was getting 400 MB/minute backing up the local hard drive. Now I'm getting 32 MB/minute. Retro is using 54% of one CPU. A finder copy to the firewire drive gets 48 MB/second. There are no errors in the system logs or the Retrospect log. Tiger did ask some interesting questions when I installed 6.0.212. It wasn't happy with the permissions assigned to RetroRun and offered two choices, fix or decide later. I chose the fix option. The system log message for that was "/Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/RetroRun" failed security check: not owned by GID 0. But it did start up so I don't see that as a problem.
  2. I haven't actually tried RH 9 but there's a good chance the problem has to do with its use of NPTL (Native Posix Thread Library), which has given a lot of threaded applications problems. I'm afraid I don't know any way to fix it without re-building the application (or switching to a different distribution). I'm using SuSE 8.2 with good results so far (see the Linux Mac client thread).
  3. No, that doesn't help, because Red Hat is ending support for all the Linux versions that Retrospect supports Dec 31, 2003. I think Dantz needs to put a little more effort into supporting the Linux client.
  4. rkunert

    SuSE works fine

    Dantz didn't even answer my questions about non-Red Hat Linux clients so I thought this information might be useful to someone here. The Linux client "officially" supports Red Hat 7.x and 8.0. Unfortunately Dec 31, 2003 Red Hat will stop supporting those versions (search for "errata" on their site to find the page) so they aren't an option for me. Anyway, the only issue with running on SuSE 8.2 is that Retro wants to install a startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d. SuSE calls this directory /etc/rc.d/boot.d. Make a symbolic link called init.d pointing to boot.d (or change every reference to init.d in the installer script to boot.d) and you're good to go, Retro installs and works fine. You will have to install Java for the client application to work, of course, I used IBM's 1.4.1 version from their developer site. Actually ten minutes work on the install script for the Retro client could fix this without any user intervention required.