Jump to content

BasV

Members
  • Content count

    5
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About BasV

  • Rank
    Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  1. BasV

    Problems with emergency client restore

    This appears to be a problem with both the WIndows and the Mac versions. WIth Retrospect for Mac 13.5 trying to restore a Windows 10 client I get the same hundreds of errors. I have had the same problems and have not been able to fix the failure of the WindowsApps folder's restore. This is where the built-in Metro Applications are stored. The restored PC boots but the Windows menu and all the built in apps are not working. I have tried to reregister them, but there are errors with the manifests that prevent them from loading. There are also additional errors in the Retrospect log like this: *File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1510.12020.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets\AlarmsAppList.contrast-white_scale-100.png": can't link to "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1612.3343.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Assets\AlarmsAppList.contrast-white_scale-100.png", error -1,017 (insufficient permissions) I think maybe the first file name is the pre-Anniversary version. The second is the post Anniversary version that was put into place after doing a WIndows reset to get my PC to boot. So apparently the restoration does not have sufficient permissions to put the older metro apps back once a fresh Anniversary edition is installed with the reset. The SYSTEM account and Trusted Installer are the only two accounts that have full control permissions to the WindowsApps folder. The Administrators on the machine have only read and list permissions by default. Not sure why the Retrospect client can't get to it during the restore; I figured it was running under the SYSTEM account, but maybe not. The root problem is that we no longer have the option of making a disaster recovery disk which does not depend on first having to install a fresh copy of WIndows to match the version I am trying to restore. Kinda defeats the whole idea of Retrospect.
  2. BasV

    Windows 8 client error -1017

    This error still happening one year later with version 10.5. No Windows Defender is running on the client. Seems to be a problem with hidden system partition on Win 8 clients. A number of other VSS backup vendors have similar errors reported by their users.
  3. why did I get stuck with this stupid logon password

  4. BasV

    Problem With Clients

    The reinstallation of a Windows client 7.6.107 will not cure the Mac 8.2 version's inability to find it. Neither does it find the Mac 6.3.029 client running on a Leopard G4. So sad - the little spinner goes round and round, but to no avail.
  5. BasV

    Problem With Clients

    This is a serious problem that has been reported and posted again and again. Nothing works for windows clients either. Mayoff suggested reinstalling clients by hand when posting on EMC forums back in 2010, but there does not appear to have been any resolution - see http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/27595/ . Multicast finding of DHCP clients (Mac and PC) on mixed wireless and wired networks used to work seamlessly with the old v6 software on the old G5 using the same old Airport router and ethernet switch I've had for years. Maybe the solution is to give up, after 25 years of using Retrospect for Mac, and buy Retrospect for Windows, which seems to work fine across corporate networks a whole lot more complex than the one I have here at home.
  6. BasV

    Cannot Select Client Volumes For Backup

    This has been a problem with Retrospect 8.x on and off for a whole year. There are still posts about this on the EMC site from 2010, where it is described as a known issue. Apparently a reliable fix is continues to elude the engineers remaining to work on this product. MY Windows XP and G4 Mac Leopard CLient computers are on and awake and can be seen on the network from the Finder on the host Intel Mac Mini. FOr a while, everything seemed to be tolerable; clients would not be automatically found, but manually locating using the Locate tool in Retrospectdid. Now Locate by multicast does not work at all. Refresh does not work either. Restarting the Retrospect engine on the host does not work. CLient address stubbornly remains stuck on the last known good value, even though the client's actual IP address has changed. The only things that do work is reboot the client and then do a refresh from the host or to to locate directly by entering the IP address of the clients manually. Neither of these are an acceptable or reliable situation for critical backups to be run automatically. It is no way to live if you want to keep things simple by using DHCP. Roxio knowledgebase article 000135RT talks about this problem and advises to open port 497 to UDP and TCp traffic in the Firewall, but even allowing all incoming connections (basically turning the Firewall off) does not provide a solution.
×