[color:red]My problem is solved![/color]
I did extensive diagnostics and found no clue to what was causing the computer to hang when running Retrospect. Although I had updated or confirmed that my drivers were current, I went back through systematically and reevaluated or reloaded each one.
At some point in the process I looked at the JMB36X driver for the JMicron PCIE IDE/SATA controller. After updating this Driver, my problem has not reoccurred.
I have run four full back-ups and three partials as a part of my confirmation process.
My Motherboard is an ASUS GT6, 1366. In the past I had downloaded the drivers from the ASUS site. On a whim or instinct, I decided to see if the JMicron site had different information. The driver at JMicron was newer than the one at ASUS, so I down loaded and installed it. I had no special insight that this would make a difference. However it did. I have not had a problem since.
Also: although it is subjective, my system appears to run faster, even though I have enabled all but a couple of the start-up modules and services. The Windows diagnostic does not add any insight to this performance observation, since before the driver change my system performance was rated at 7.6 and after, the same. There were no IDE/SATA errors, drive errors or any other kind of error reported that would have suggested looking the IDE/SATA controller driver. In fact, the only errors reported were ones that occurred when I restarted my machine after a lock-up.
In fact, I had no problem Burning or reading Blu-ray disc, I could create a system image disc using windows backup and I could back-up all my data files using Western Digital Smartware software, which came with my external drives. (This of course was not as convenient, as flexible or as integrated a solution as I have with Retrospect)
Thanks for the suggestions. I hope this helps with the other Retrospect hang problems