Jump to content

fbitterlich

Members
  • Content count

    6
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About fbitterlich

  • Rank
    Newbie
  1. I've created a new media set (type: disk) named "ServerBackupDisk", with an external USB disk named "ServerBackupDisk1" and created a backup on this media set. Later I tried to add a second disk (same make/model) named "ServerBackupDisk2", but Retrospect wouldn't allow me to do this, saying "This disk is already a member of this media set." The second disk is _not_ showing in the list of media for the media set. I tried renaming the second disk to something less similar ("BackupB"), biut that didn't solve the problem. I ran the backup script to see if the disk was maybe added "invisibly" to the set, but no, it asked for the first disk. Does Retrocpsect maybe confuse the two disks because they are connected to the same USB port?
  2. fbitterlich

    Sources not found

    Update: It seems that the control panel does work - but it took roughly 5 minutes(!) to stop the engine here. Giving a little feedback (progress wheel) would be nice... you know, us Mac user are used to the system telling you what's up
  3. fbitterlich

    needs media?

    I have a similar problem, and I think I might have a clue what happens. 1. A script, let's call it "Client Backup [005]", begins running using a fresh tape. 2. On the second day/run, the tape becomes full; Retro asks for a new media. 3. You enter an old, used tape (last backup on that was, say, "Client Backup [002]"). The you go to the Devices section and erase the tape. It now has a name like "untitled" or whatever it is in English). 4. The script (which is waiting for media at this point) notices that an empty tape is present and immediately starts using that. It names the tape "1-Client Backup [005]". 5. After the current source is backed up, for some reason, the script is again requesting a new media for the next source of that script. (I get a fresh email saying "needs media" at this point). This looks like a bug (some flag not being reset?) 6. You look into the console, see that it "still" (apparently) asks for a new tape, so you try and click the "select media" button in the script and specify the current tape. But Retro won't let you; after all, the tape "1-Client Backup [005]" belongs to a beckup set - the current one... 7. I bet if you insert another tape and erase that, Retro will back up at least one more source. Right now I can't try as I have stopped the current execution. Anybody care to verify?
  4. fbitterlich

    Sources not found

    Hmmm... launchctl? For me, RetroEngine is not a launchctl-controlled process... it doesn't appear with "launchctl list".
  5. fbitterlich

    Sources not found

    Thanks for the hints, but I had already checked the (more or less) obvious things. Clients are running; I can see (using nmap) that the processes are clearly listening on the Retrospect port; I can even telnet to that port from the server machine. Since all clients vanished at the same time, I suspected the server as the culprit; and so I tried to turn off & on the engine using the preference panel. Unfortunately that didn't work. I had too "persuade" the engine using kill -9 to quit, and voilá, the clients were "found" again. So at least this time it was probably a hung engine; the last time this happened, though, the problem survived a server restart, so it must have been something else. Well, problem solved for now. But I would prefer a much more stable system. The administration of this is costing me too much time.
  6. fbitterlich

    Sources not found

    I have the same problem. After a few days of operation, the server gives the -530 "client not found" error for all six clients. The funny thing is, I can ping these machines just fine; the problem stays even if the firewall on both machines are completely off. Nmap shows that the client machines are clearly listening on 497. I was able to solve this once by deleting all the clients from Retrospect and re-adding them manually, but clearly this is not a viable workaround, and now I have the same problem once again. I can't do any backups at all right now. This is very frustrating.
×