Jump to content

Rich

Members
  • Content count

    3
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Rich

  • Rank
    Occasional Forum Poster
  1. Configuration: NT Server 4 running Retrospect Server 5.6.132 Windows 98/2000 clients Sony TSL SA-500C Autoloader Retrospect Driver Update 2.6.106 About once or twice a week, Retrospect Server hangs while backing up a client. By "hangs" I mean that a few clients are typically backed up successfully, then a client is started, and never finishes, to be seen when we come in in the morning (this script runs nights/weekends). This happens on a random client--not the same one every time. After this behavior is seen, Retrospect server stops responding and can only be quit by killing its task. However, the GUI remains unresponsive upon relaunching the program and normal operation can only be restored by a restart of the server machine. No error messages are observed related to this issue. Other operations (printing, for example) work fine. What we've tried: Upgrading Retrospect to a newer build, reinstalling SCSI adapter drivers, reinstalling NIC drivers, reinstalling TCP/IP, upgrading the firmware and driver for the Sony autoloader, and enabled NT SCSI passthrough. Can anyone help? Please? I'm at wit's end. Thanks, -Rich
  2. This is bizarre. Last night, the server started backing up a workstation, had a problem, and then failed to back up the rest of the LAN. Is this working as designed? I hope not. I understand what it had a problem with--it won't back up some Outlook files when it's open. No biggie; I understand that. But the backup was to continue through the night! The following log segment is *my entire log* from last night--only one machine! (MS Word seems to mangle some of the Unicade from the log--sorry 'bout that). + Normal backup using $[1]Daily Desktop/Server$[2] at 4/30/2002 5:02 PM To backup set $[01]$[*!20621,,14,+3]Backup Set A$[02]... - 4/30/2002 5:02:16 PM: Copying $[*!20612,,14,+3]Drive C (C:)$[3] on WORKSTATION2$[4] 4/30/2002 5:02:16 PM: Connected to $[*!20780,,14,+3]WORKSTATION2 $[*20750] File "$[1]C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outcmd.dat$[2]": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation) $[*20750] File "$[1]C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\personal folders.pst$[2]": can't read, error -2352 (File has changed) 4/30/2002 5:15:00 PM: Snapshot stored, 11.9 MB 4/30/2002 5:15:05 PM: Comparing $[*!20612,,14,+3]Drive C (C:)$[3] on WORKSTATION2$[4] $[*20750] Can't initialize source, error -1102 (drive missing/unavailable) 4/30/2002 5:15:05 PM: Execution incomplete $[126646597362220000] Remaining: 13723 files, 934.8 MB Completed: 0 files, zero KB Performance: 88.8 MB/minute (88.8 copy, 0.0 compare) Duration: 00:12:48 (00:02:16 idle/loading/preparing) Thanks! -Rich Fletcher
  3. Our backup server stops in the middle of backing up, sometimes: OS: Winnt4.0 sp6 Retrospect 5.6 tape drive: Sony TSL-SA500C (scsi) Occasionally, backups just stop, *with no warning*. Example: I have a backup server script running evenings and weekends--nothing fancy. Here's last weekend: - 4/26/2002 8:04:38 PM: Copying $[*!20612,,14,+3]Drive C (C:)$[3] on WORKSTATION$[4] 4/26/2002 8:04:38 PM: Connected to $[*!20780,,14,+3]WORKSTATION 4/26/2002 8:06:03 PM: Snapshot stored, 8,988 KB 4/26/2002 8:06:08 PM: Comparing $[*!20612,,14,+3]Drive C (C:)$[3] on WORKSTATION$[4] 4/26/2002 8:06:24 PM: Execution completed successfully $[126643250780820000] Completed: 17 files, 312 KB Performance: 2.4 MB/minute (1.6 copy, 6.0 compare) Duration: 00:01:46 (00:01:30 idle/loading/preparing) - 4/29/2002 8:18 AM: Backup Server stopped Notice that nothing happened for DAYS. Not included is the rest of the backup log. This LAN has some 30 clients, and this was the 6th one to execute. There were many other machines that were due for a backup (modified within 24 hours). Of course, this included all the information on some servers. This has happened many times. It is usually accompanied by the following events: Retrospect freezes on shutdown, and a force quit and restart yields a loss of tape device control. The server has to be restarted(!). Usually, the log shows an insanely long time (like a day and a half for weekend backups) for a particular backup until Monday rolls around and the script stops because of the scheduling. This is not good. I have been dealing with this problem for months, since long before telephone support (one of the selling points of the product) was switched to pay-per-use. Techicians were helpful, friendly, and totally unable to fix the problem. The best advice I got was to reinstall TCP/IP and SCSI drivers on the server--which was no help. Diligent Googling revealed the "secret preferences", that one poster mentioned cleared his freezing if he turned on SCSI passthrough. I can only wonder why nobody mentioned this to me. In any case, it didn't help. A while afterwards, it happened again. Note that I cannot reproduce the problem with a particular sequence of events. -Rich Fletcher DRS Technical Services, Inc.
×