Jump to content

Leaderboard


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 06/20/2019 in Posts

  1. 1 point
    Earlier this year, I tried to restore my "production" system, following the directions in the V15 manual. That system is Windows 10 Pro 64. The V15 manual states on p. 99 (my highlights) So I blithely assumed that I could do a Restore of my C : partition, after it somehow got hoses. Wrong!! I ended up reformatting that partition, doing a fresh install of Windows, and then re-installing all the programs and doing all the config settings. So I was pretty frustrated about the experience. When I wrote a letter a few months ago to Retrospect management about a bunch of issues, I included this issue. I got a detailed response to all my issues from Robin Mayoff, which I do appreciate. However, it was very frustrating to read the following. When you perform a restore of a Windows operating system with Retrospect, it is very important to perform this restore while booted from a Retrospect Disaster Recovery disk. It is not possible to restore a modern version of the Windows registry or Windows system while booted from the C disk. This is probably why you got some errors and ended up needing to reinstall programs. Had I known this point, I could have saved myself several days of work. Why am I posting this now, months after the fact? I can't fully explain why, but "stuff" happened. Still I thought this point is important enough so that the next person with this problem might find this post and save themselves a lot of trouble. As the expression goes, I am "paying it forward" in appreciation for all the help I get in this forum.
  2. 1 point
    Replying months later to Lennart_T's post, I finally (never mind why!) got around to doing a grooming operation. It was a success. Here is the selector I used in the groom job: Note that the S-1 ... folder never should have been backed up. The System Volume folder was explicit.y excluded in my universal "Always Exclude" selector. Just in case the System Volume exclusion didn't work, I also excluded files matching pattern 32{* and *{380* that are either 12 GB or 50 GB in size. Before the groom operation I did a Find Files operation on the Media dataset, to identify files and folder to groom out. AFter the groom operation, I did another Find Files operation to confirm that all those files were in fact groomed out, except for an S-1* folder inside the $RecycleBin, which should never have been backed up. (But I'll clean that up.) The groom operation recovered 345 GB and 15479 files. After I get some more experience with this grooming selector, I will incorporate it into the backup script. x509
×