All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. What OS was the MBPro on? Asking because that sounds more like Apple's new(-ish) security sandboxing kicking in, rather than an UNIX permissions error. If you fancy trying again, reboot with Command-Option-Shift-R held down -- that should install the OS version the Mac shipped with (unless that's the "Apple database" you mention). I'll confess, we long-ago decided to only back up user data while reinstalling the OS, apps, etc from scratch. Always seems like a good opportunity to clear out the cruft that accumulates over time. But for bare-metal restores in the past I've always connected the Mac-to-be-restored to another Mac (either client or the RS server) in Target Disk mode, though I guess lack of adapter prevented you from doing that initially. I've a spare laptop sitting on the bench right now. Let me know the client OS and I'll set up a test (though it'll be with Server v13) using the "Live Restore" instructions here.
  3. I have an old set of tapes that I can not locate the Media Set file for. So I loaded them up and did a rebuild scan. I could only locate 14 of the 16 tapes in the set. I marked the missing two tapes as Lost when I scanned for the Rebuild. I have found one of the "Lost" tapes and would now like to have the system scan it and add it to the Media Set file. But I can't figure out how to have it just scan the one tape to add it. It seems like whatever I choose it wants to scan all the tapes. I have also tried to Remove the tape as a Member so I could re-add it and maybe have it scan then. But even when I select remove it won't remove it. So, I'm looking for any advice on how to scan the tape into the Media Set without scanning all the tapes in the set again. Thank you, Jay Mahavier
  4. Yesterday
  5. Last week
  6. Saturday night 30 March I hastily decided that I needed to do a full-SSD restore of my Late 2016 MacBook Pro. Because I didn't have a USB-C to-Firewire adapter, I started to do the restore from Saturday morning's Recycle backup over my LAN. This was stupid, because the restore would have wiped out my Retrospect 15.6.1.105 Client, but it didn't get that far. After "Finished deleting 2,385 unnecessary files and 198 unnecessary folders on destination", it bombed with "!Trouble writing folder "Macintosh HD/Library/", error -1,017 (insufficient permissions)". How does one avoid that with Retrospect, since I'm told Time Machine avoids it? Meanwhile I was left with a MBP SSD with no usable macOS on it. I next attempted to download and install Sierra on the SSD, expecting to then be able to solve the permissions problem and rerun the backup application's Restore of my complete High Sierra disk. However I couldn't find how to do that download of the installer, and it was by then after Apple Support's 11 p.m. EDT closing time. I should explain here that, for reasons explained in this KB article and this Forums post, I'd prefer for now to keep all 6 drives on my 3 Macs using HFS+ rather than APFS. So I phoned Apple Support around noon Sunday. I spent a couple of hours talking to the senior Support technician Jenna. I first downloaded a High Sierra installer, which left me with a single APFS partition. Disk Utility wouldn't let me erase that partition, or delete it because it was the first one created. I worked on the problem for another hour while Jenna took a four-hour break; I ended up with an SSD which sat forever with 7 minutes to go when I booted into the Recovery Partition, and stopped booting after a couple of minutes—showing a big white circle crossed by a right-slanting diagonal line—when I did a conventional boot without Command-R—etc.. Here's what happened after I took my MacBook Pro in to Mike's Tech Shop on Monday 1 April: Despite my (open-box 15-inch Late 2016) MBP having come with macOS 10.12 Sierra installed, Apple has some database that says it can't run under anything earlier than macOS 10.13 High Sierra. So that's what Mike's had to install on Tuesday, and it formatted the MBP's 500GB SSD as a single APFS partition—which High Sierra and above inescapably do with any SSD. Tuesday morning I connected an external Firewire HDD to my 2010 Mac Pro backup server running Retrospect Mac 15.6.1.105 under macOS 10.12.6 Sierra, changed the permissions on all existing top-level folders to Read-Write for all users, and ran the same restore to the HDD. It ran, but got over 90 cases of "[*] MapError: unknown Mac error 22" and ended with "!Trouble writing folder "/Volumes/Macintosh HD OS X+/.HFS+ Private Directory Data", error -1,101 (file/directory not found) 3/31/19 2:11:03 AM: Execution incomplete". The HDD remains formatted with HFS+. Tuesday afternoon I took my MBP home, booted it, and—using the pair of adapters I had bought to go USB-C-to-Firewire—ran Migration Assistant to copy my backed-up files from the external HDD onto the MBP's SSD. I chose the iCloud option, because I want to be able to access those files from my MacPro in case my MBP gets messed up again. It wouldn't install SUIDGuardNG.kext, but that turns out to be incompatible with High Sierra. My MBP then would boot under High Sierra, but only using the MBP's built-in display. I normally use an inherited Apple 27-inch LED Cinema Display, connected to my MBP via a KVM switch and a StarTech USB32DPPro adapter. That adapter requires software from DisplayLink.com; at first it wouldn't install. I eventually found this and this Web page, and got the Cinema Display working Tuesday night. So what do you suggest as a substitute for this complicated process? I should note that, having also bought from Mike's a pair of adapters to go USB-C to-Firewire, I have since tried to boot my MBP from my external Firewire HDD.—it doesn't work.
  7. Earlier
  8. We recently ran into a number of issues with backing up certain client favorite folders. These all occurred shortly after upgrading to v 16.0.1, which may or may not be a coincidence. In one case, a client favorite folder began showing up the the Sources list with the tilde "offline" icon. Browsing the drive volume showed the folder as still having the stripe icon. To solve the problem, I needed to forget and re-add the favorite folder. In a second case, the favorite folder was not being backed up, returning a -519 network communication failed error. However, I was able to browse the folder in question from the Sources list, after which it was able to be backed up normally. In several other cases, the folders stopped backing up with a proactive script. After backing them up with a regular script, they were once again backing up with the proactive script. I discovered these issues after the clients appeared in the "No backup in 7 days" list. For now, I will assume the problems have been fixed. The issue was reported to Retrospect Support
  9. DavidHertzberg

Restrospect 16 Desktop Advantages?

Here's DovidBenAvraham's 13 April 2019 comment about the Web-based Management Console with its missing-from-the-Configurator Add-On that allows Shared Scripts, as excerpted—with a few square-bracketed clarifications—from the Talk page of the Wikipedia article:
  10. tman1991

R16 really slow backups

I played around with SMB settings and so far I have to have SMB1 turned on. I havent done what Nigel suggested yet, but found this thread https://community.synology.com/forum/7/post/121376 which suggested IP6 was the culprit. Sure enough I turned IP6 off on my Synology and im back to at least sorta normal speeds. So something happened with MS updates and SMB and MS updates and IP6.
  11. It's how it *does* work with Retrospect client (and has for the last umpteen years), and I've seen other IP-listener daemons do the same. Since you are on a static, just run retroclient.exe /ipsave <static-address> (from the page linked above) on the client and it will always behind to your external interface rather than the virtual one -- no messing with RS Server required.
  12. Helpful - thanks! I'm on static IPs, and I've just discovered that I can edit that IP in the clients list in the main Retrospect Desktop application. The annoying thing is, randomly (not every time) after rebooting the WiFi network or the client computer, the IP address gets reset to the one on the virtual interface, and I then have to reset it again in the main application. I still think this is not how it's supposed to work!
  13. Nigel Smith

R16 really slow backups

Windows 10 updates have killed SMB1 updates before, so I think you've nailed it. It would be better to sort your Synology so it'll work with SMB2 or 3, both for speed and security. How you do that will depend on your DSM version, but you'll find instructions in "Option 1" here <https://www.synology.com/en-global/security/advisory/Precaution_for_a_PotentialSMBVulnerability>. Unless you have a particular requirement to use SMB1?
  14. In my experience, RS Client binds to the first interface it finds to be active -- I often see this when someone has wireless enabled but unused while they are actually using ethernet. Sounds like yours is (sometimes) seeing the virtual interface before the real one. Instead of deleting/re-adding the client, try the instructions here <https://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/client_ip_binding> -- whether you use the "temporary" or "permanent" solution will probably depend on whether that machine is DHCPd or on a static IP.
  15. It's been a week since the problem, and this backup set has been absolutely fine, so I'm hoping it was just a blip. I'm going to see if I can reduce the size of our backups as it appears that we're within 2Tb of running our out of space on three tapes, and that will be by far the easiest course of immediate action. I need to look at our VM solutions as a whole, and not just the backup side of things, so that will have to wait for the time being. The machines between them only take up around 15% of the backup size (HD video and massive PSDs seem to be the main culprit). Thanks again to everyone for advice, I certainly know a great deal more than I did this time last week!
  16. Thanks for the reply Lennart_T. I'll take a look at those options.
  17. I say it would be feasible to use the trial version. Or you could your client's license, provided they remove it for that period of time. Or you could buy Retrospect Solo, the cheapest (unbundled) version ever (I think).
  18. Hello, One of my clients has a Single Server 20 Clients license that they use to backup a Mac server. They have a backup set that spans multiple external drives that I'd like to condense on to a single external drive via Copy Media Set. I need to do this using my equipment instead of on the licensed backup workstation at their office. Is it feasible to accomplish this task using the trial version of Retrospect? If not is there another way to do this? Thanks for any input.
  19. Adam Ainsworth and Nigel Smith, I've never used block-level incremental backups, which are discussed on pages 206-210 of the Retrospect Mac 14 User's Guide. "Options" on page 208 says "With block level incremental backup enabled, files 100 MB or larger will be backed up incrementally by default. Smaller files will automatically be backed up in full because restore overhead outweighs the benefits of incremental backup. " My only database (I'm a home user with a tiny business) is less than 6MB. R.V., which I have been forbidden by the head of Retrospect Tech Support from discussing on these Forums, only runs on Windows machines—check the System Requirements. That worthy (or one of his subordinates) also told me R.V. doesn't even have the concept of a Client. Think of it as a cheaper competitor to Veeam. Then instead buy 4 more blank tapes, Adam, as Nigel suggested—IMHO it'd be cheaper and less work to set up .
  20. Probably a StorageLoader, then. <https://www.overlandstorage.com/products/tape-libraries-and-autoloaders/neos-storageloader.aspx#Overview> Yes, that'll be manual cleaning. I understand you don't want to mess around too much before the Bank Holiday weekend but, when you're back, these are both easy jobs to do. The first is just spitting out the cleaning tape to the mail slot and removing it, cancelling the "cleaning slot" designation on the library slot, adding a new member to each tape set -- all done through the Retrospect GUI. The second would be setting up static-IP settings as per your network via the StorageLoader's front panel (pp48 of <https://www.overlandstorage.com/pdfs/support/NEO-S-Series-UG-ENG.pdf>, plugging in an ethernet cable, logging in with your web browser then resetting password etc. You can then use the Web GUI to do the important things like check/update the library firmware etc. One word of warning (coz this always catches me out) -- pressing front panel buttons often (always?) rips control from Retrospect but, when you finish, RS (or the Mac OS SCSI routines) can't always gracefully resume operations without a restart. So pick an idle time when, if necessary, you can restart the backup server 😉 Ooof! I excluded VHDs from our backups a l-o-n-g time ago, for that very reason. Not a practical solution for you though! And it may be worse than it first looks -- depending on how those VHDs are set up, every previous version of every edited file may still be on the VHD, hidden from a "file explorer" but still present in part or whole on the disk just as they are on a "real" hard drive. While you'll still get compression that might be countered by the large amounts of "unseen" cruft... Others (David? Lennart?) may be able to chip in how how best to manage this -- I've never used block level incremental backups <https://www.retrospect.com/uk/documentation/user_guide/mac/block_level_incremental_backup> or Retrospect Virtual <https://www.retrospect.com/uk/products/virtual>, which are the two quick fixes that leap to mind.
  21. It's a Neoseries of some description - I can't get round the back to see. I'm not sure of its age, but it hasn't even been turned off in nearly three years. The connection is via fibre though, and I'm guessing that some kind of interruption caused the problem. Given that it was never mentioned to me by my predecessor, it had either never happened before or was very rare. The hours of use is set to zero, and there is a light on the front, so I guess it has always been done manually. I'm not sure about messing around with the config right now as I have a few deadlines and Easter approaching, so I don't want to rock the boat too much. The same goes with getting it on the network - I don't know how practical that would be or whether it would be worth it. Something I hadn't mentioned was that most of the code is on virtual servers with virtual disks (split down in to chunks). So, while the number of files isn't important, it does mean that it only needs one to change for the entire chunk to be backed up, and it also means that duplicate files take up space, as do all the node_modules folders etc. It's not an ideal situation, and one that has been on a to do list for some time to sort out (as well as archive old and ex customer sites). As with everything, time is the problem, as there tends to be customer work to do before internal housekeeping. It has - thank you. I am grateful to everyone who has contributed to this thread, as I now have a better understanding of our system, a good idea what went wrong, and it's made me think about what we ought to do to make things more efficient. I've also been given a helpful warning that we don't have as much space as I thought.
  22. Ah, but what is the library, how is it attached, and to what? I'll take a punt that it is a FlexStor II 1-U, fibre connected. On the face of it that is supported by Retrospect, but so is my fibre-connected Scalar 24 *except* the fibre connection is via a Thunderbolt to fibre adapter, which introduces its own problems -- I see similar SCSI errors to the ones you showed when my adapter has a "moment", and the tape finishes before it is "full" (note that on a sequential-tape system you can't go back and "fill up the gaps" later). You'll see RS's automated cleaning option if you click on "Options" when the drive (not the library) is selected as in your screenshot above. It is in "hours of use" and by default it is "0" (never) and I'd suggest you keep it at that. Cancel the cleaning slot and keep the cleaning tape in your desk for when needed and that'll give you an instant 33% bump in set capacity simply by adding a tape to each, which will buy you time to sort things out. Get the library on the network and use the management GUI to monitor the cleaning requirement instead. How often you'd need to manually load the tape and run a cleaning cycle will depend on your environment but, IMO, most people do it far too often given that LTO drives self-clean every time a cartridge is inserted. The drive/library should tell you when it is required: on the front panel there's probably a "Clean" indicator, and it'll show in (and should be set to email/Slack/SMS/whatever an alert from) the network management UI. And note on backing up the WP installs: Lots of small files will (almost) always take up more space on tape than the same amount of data in one single file -- assuming compression is the same, an unchanged WP install will use more tape capacity than the original installer. Also, many of the WP files across your client folders will be unchanged and thus the same and, under RS's default "don't copy the same thing twice" setting, don't actually get backed up a second/third/100th time and so don't contribute to the "compression percentage". So, across the whole set, the WP *code* contribution is minimal compared to media, assets, etc your clients have uploaded (which, I think, is the point Lennart was trying to get across). Hope some of that ramble helps...
  23. tman1991

R16 really slow backups

i think this has to do a windows 10 update that disabled SMB 1.0. I had to re-enable it to even see my NAS. I was running R15 at the time.. Im wondering if there is something also in that w10 update patch that did something else.
  24. I work with C++, Pascal, C# and Dataflex. All of them have development software that are some MB to download. But the code you write is quite small, by comparison. And in my world, a database dump is not SQL. Themes, plugins and database dumps are (usually) not easily compressed, which can be seen in the log: 1% compression. So thanks for the clarification. I understand better now.
  25. I'm not sure what code bases you work on, but the WordPress install alone is 11.5Mb compressed (https://en-gb.wordpress.org/download/), and we have hundreds of them. When you add in themes and plugins, uploaded assets, mature DB dumps, and other paraphernalia, a good proportion of our client sites come to 100s of Mb. They all need to be backed up in their entirety, because if the worst happens, we need them back as quickly as possible.
  26. Let me put it this way. Assuming your code and SQL scripts contains about the same amount of space as the whole contents of the bible. That would be a huge amount of code, actually. But it would still be only about 3.5 MB. Yes, it compresses easily, but in terms of space use it is negligible compare to 6 TB.
  27. Apologies - work is getting on top of me this week. Thank you for your replies. Correct, it is an LTO-6 drive (an IBM Ultrium HH6, as you noted). The drive and the RAID are both connected to the file server, and the tapes are managed by an 8 tape library, which is also attached directly to the server. I've attached a screenshot from Retrospect and more info on the drive can be found at https://www.ibm.com/uk-en/marketplace/ibm-lto-ultrium-6-data-cartridge It appears that the drive isn't set up for automatic cleaning, but I can find no record of a cleaning cycle in the logs, and I've not been asked by Retrospect to do it in the time I've been here (two months). I have been fooled by the spare capacity and you are indeed correct in that we are running out of space. A great deal of the data is video and large image files, although there is also a lot of code and SQL, which I would expect it compress somewhat. However, I will probably need to look in to either reducing the size of the backup or finding another solution (which I have been thinking about anyway as it is a bit of a faff every Monday morning, as this isn't the only backup process we have).
  28. To my eyes, that looks more like a SCSI error causing a premature end to tape writing than an error with the tape itself. Retrospect would, in that case, still move on to the next tape so the effect is the same. Adam, you still haven't said what tapes you are using. I'm guessing from... IBM|ULTRIUM-HH6|E6R3 ...that Lennard's right and it's an LTO-6, and that Retrospect's reported nominal capacity is bogus. If we are right then, given that you are a media company and probably dealing with already-compressed video etc, I reckon the "space used" on tapes 1 and 2 is both correct and the best you can expect (they're full but mis-reporting spare capacity), i.e. 2.5-3TB per tape because there's minimal compression, while tape 3 "finished early" because of the comms error. So each 3-tape set is barely big enough for your current weekly usage, even without problems like this. But more info would help here -- what are the tapes, what's the drive and firmware version, what machine is the server on and how is it connected to the tape library, etc. Oh, and I wouldn't recommend using Retrospect's "automated cleaning" with LTO drives. The drive itself should flag a cleaning requirement for you, either on its display or via remote management, when it needs it rather than after a certain amount of time.
  29. Generally -- yes, you can use static IPs on (your own, controlled) Wi-fi connections. How you do that will depend on your router's interface (can you assign by MAC, do you "block out" a range from DHCP distribution and manually set from that range on the client, etc). Some low-end boxes may not offer the facility at all, of course...
  1. Load more activity