Internal Consistency Check Failed

I did a (seemingly successful) backup and verify of a drive a couple of days ago. I thought I would do a test restore to another partition before erasing the data.

Shortly after starting the restore, 2 or 3 files restored, I get the error message:

Internal Consistency Check Failed

Assertion Check

DEV.C-1076

I tried both "Restore Drive" and "Restore Files" with the same result. It seemed to stop in the same place each time, partway through a particular file. So I tried "Restore Files", but unchecked that one file; Same message, and the restore was no further along.

I've looked through TECH NOTE 307, and it didn't seem like a Matching Error, since the restore was already underway when the error occurred. I decided to go ahead and rebuild the catalog from the tape anyway. During this process, the exact same error message came up.

My configuration is as follows:

Powermac G4 MDD

Ratoc PCIFS3P Firewire / Ultra Wide SCSI PCI card

Onstream ADR 50e external SCSI drive.

Running Retrospect v.4.3 while booted into OS 9.2.2

I tried a restore of a different storage set and tape. It "successfully" restored, although it reported around 20 errors.

I have a cleaning tape on order, in case it's as simple as that.

But if there's something else I should try, or if there is any more information on this particular error code (nothing came up in the knowledge base), I would appreciate any information.

Thanks.

cool.gif Ray

It's possible you have a bad spot on the tape that's just bad enough to cause problems.

Does this backup set have more then 1 tape? If so, try rebuilding without tape 1 - mark it as missing when prompted to insert. Do other tapes rebuild okay?

Quote:

I tried a restore of a different storage set and tape. It "successfully" restored, although it reported around 20 errors.

What were the errors?

Actually, my cleaning cartridge finally came in yesterday -- it was backordered.

I cleaned the drive and successfully restored the original data.

Could my original error, DEV.C-1076, have been caused by dirty heads?

I would have expected the slew of errors that I got when I tried the other storage set, but this error had me confused.

cool.gifRay

Archived