Error 102 on OSX w/ DVD-RAM

Hello everyone. I am running Retrospect 5.0.238 on a 450 Mhz. Sawtooth G4. I am attempting to backup my system using the internal Matsushita PD-2 LF-D110 DVD-RAM drive which came on the machine. I have been backing up this system with the same disks, the same drive, and Retrospect for years, with no major problems. Now, I am running OS 10.2.3 with the above mentioned version of Retrospect, and every time I begin a backup, I get nowhere due to an error 102, trouble communicating with backup sets. I am able to format, erase, and rename the DVD-RAM disks I am using with Apple's disk utility. The problem is once I begin Retrospect, it tries to erase the disk itself, then I receive the message. It does not matter if I start Retrospect after formatting the disk or not. I have looked at the knowledge base and tried the suggestion of disabling Appletalk and File Sharing to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this problem is becoming more and more frustrating. Thanks.

-Chris

Try erasing the DVD-RAM in OS X's Disk Utility with the volume format set to Mac OS Standard. This will show as HFS format instead of HFS+. This allowed me to get Retrospect 5.0.238 to start a backup. I was getting the 102 error when I had the DVD-RAM formatted to Mac OS Extended (HFS+).

When I had one side of my DVD-RAM disk full and Retrospect asked for more media, Retrospect would not recognize a mounted DVD-RAM disk. A follow-up call to tech support allowed me to discover that this is a known issue since 10.2.?, Backup Sets will not span multiple DVD-RAM disks.

For now, looks like I have to split my backups in 2GB chunks.

• 4 weeks later...

The issue is still being worked on. We hope to have it resolved in a future release. Thank you for your continued patience.

OS 9 cannot backup OS X properly. The current workaround when spanning DVD-RAM disks is to stop the backup, log out, log back in and continue the backup. We understand how frustrating this issue can be and are actively working towards resolution.

• 4 weeks later...

Now its almost March.

I have had the same problem since I have upgraded to 10.2.? I am now running 10.2.3 and just tried the brand new Retrospect 5.0 Driver Update. No luck! I am still getting error 102 when trying to back up to an internal DVD-RAM.

I am getting sick of this. I haven't backed all three computers now for 2 months?

Can I get my money back? I've got Desktop version and 2 clients.

Chris Cunningham

cdcunningham@attbi.com

• 2 months later...

I too had this problem and still have it with 10.2.5. Here's the workaround that I've found:

When Retrospect fails to reformat the DVD-RAM drive, open up Disk Utility. Then select the DVD-RAM media and select Mount from the Options menu. Every time I've done this, Retrospect then happily reformats the drive and proceeds with the backup. It hasn't failed me yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah - I managed to get this hack to work as well. I am quite pissed off about my whole experience upgrading to Retrospect 5 from 4.3 on OS X. I guess I should have meticulously searched these forums before making the purchase. What a complete waste of time and effort this has been. This software is completely useless to me unless this is fixed - my backups have to run in the middle of the night when the other machines are not seeing high traffic.

I am having the same errors mentioned above. G4/500/OS X 10.2.6/DVD-RAM. This same setup has worked for over two years using this same machine, the same DVD-RAM disks, and Retrospect on OS 9. Staying with OS 9 was no longer an option. Now the whole thing is worthless as a backup solution and I am out the upgrade fee.

WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED???

Archived