Is There Anything That Can Back Me Up?

SIsAgent

OBJECTIVE: Perform full system backups and regular incrementals or differentials to removable optical media (CD/DVD).

> Needs to easily span target disks and provide effective compression to reduce media consumption.

> Software must:

>> Allow location and restoration of a single file, and not require whole directories.

>> Handle very, very large video production files.

>> Support backup of a local network file server.

RESEARCH: Spent hours and hours researching editors’ and reviewers’ top picks, including reading reviews and issues from users on various forums, message boards, and particularly the software’s support pages. Although someone had these as recommended tools, no matter how good the software, it:

- Doesn’t work with something else I already have pre-loaded, including for some, the XP OS.

- Works once then never again, or never via scheduler, or requires manual intervention, even when not spanning CDs, thereby prohibiting automatic unattended backups.

- Requires disabling or uninstalling important existing software that I need to keep.

- Lacks good phone support or has per incident fees to get it / keep it working.

THE QUESTION: What software “out-there” meets the objective AND will work with the OS and utilities I have?

MY SYSTEM:

>Dell 8200 w/Windows XP Pro at 2.433Ghz w/1GB RAM

>Phillips DVD+RW-D28[CD ROM] drive

RELEVANT PRELOADED SOFTWARE:

- Roxio Easy CD Creator v5.3.0.76

- Microsoft NTbackup

RECOMMENDED BUT REJECTED, AND WHY:

>Backup MyPC: (formerly Backup Exec Desktop) by Stomp is incompatible with Roxio Easy CD Creator and DirectCD.exe, often can’t read its own files and rejects CDs other software can use.

>Retrospect Desktop: Many report it hangs XP, even after doing everything on Retrospect’s website, reviewing FAQs and reading newsgroups. Also, has a conflict with DirectCD.exe found on many systems. Has a steep learning curve and a clunky interface.

>NTI Backup Now!: Very slow (hour per CD w/verification) not taking advantage of writers faster than 2X, is difficult to view what is on backup CD, doesn’t refund within 30-day trial.

- - - - - -

>Norton Ghost: Drive imaging only.

>Drive Image 2002: Drive imaging only.

>True Image: Drive imaging only and doesn’t verify backup quality.

In reply to:

OBJECTIVE: Perform full system backups and regular incrementals or differentials to removable optical media (CD/DVD).

> Needs to easily span target disks and provide effective compression to reduce media consumption.

> Software must:

>> Allow location and restoration of a single file, and not require whole directories.

>> Handle very, very large video production files.

>> Support backup of a local network file server.

Retrospect can do all of these things.

In reply to:

>Retrospect Desktop: Many report it hangs XP, even after doing everything on Retrospect’s website, reviewing FAQs and reading newsgroups.

There are known issues with WinXP, only when backing up to a local hard drive - not to media, such as CD or tape. Turning off System Restore resolves these issues. We're working on better integration with the System Restore feature.

In reply to:

Also, has a conflict with DirectCD.exe found on many systems.

Not true - while there are conflicts in some systems, the majority of our users do not have a conflict. Myself included.

In reply to:

Has a steep learning curve and a clunky interface.

We completely re-vamped the GUI for 6.0. There have been some significant improvements. My suggestion would be to download a trial and give it a go - find out for yourself what you think. You get 30 days of full functionality.

Archived