My setup:

Retrospect Multi Server running on NT4 with Overland LoaderXpress (10 tape DLT magazine) with DLT8000 drive. Everything appears to be working properly, except after backing up about 6 Gb, I get error 102 then 'Library reported a hardware failure while moving tapes'. After this happens, I am unable to control the library at all from Retrospect. Even after rebooting the computer and the Loader. In order to recover, the ONLY thing I have found that works is if I manually unload the tape and reinsert it in the drive. Then Retrospect is able to control it like normal.

It shouldn't be changing tapes at 6 Gb, since these tapes are supposed to hold 40 Gb uncompressed.

I have gone through all the SCSI troubleshooting steps short of trying a different SCSI card (it's brand new and I don't have another on hand).

Are there any more detailed logs I can check in order to pinpoint the problem? Any suggestions at all would be most appreciated. Thank you.

In reply to:

I have gone through all the SCSI troubleshooting steps short of trying a different SCSI card (it's brand new and I don't have another on hand).

What steps have you gone through specifically? Have you tried another computer? Have you tried another tape drive?

Error 102 trouble communicating

This error occurs when the computers CPU loses contact with the backup device. The most common cause is improper SCSI termination. But it can also be caused by other issues on the bus. It is necessary to go through the SCSI troubleshooting outline below.

The first thing you want to try is a new tape. If the new tape works, then the tape you are seeing the error with is bad. If you see the error on all tapes, you can look into the following possibilities:

1) a dirty tape drive. Clean the drive with a cleaning cartridge. Most manufacturers recommend cleaning the unit once for every 8-10 hours of run time. Once a week is often enough for most people.

2) another device on your SCSI bus may be interfering with the tape drive's communication. Turn off your computer and the SCSI devices. Make sure your SCSI ID numbers don't conflict. Disconnect all SCSI devices except for the tape drive.

3) you have a bad cable. Replace the SCSI cable that connects the tape drive to the computer after removing other devices and cables from the SCSI chain.

4) you are missing a terminator or have a bad terminator. The last device and ONLY the last device in your SCSI chain needs to be terminated. Try replacing the terminator if you already have one on the chain.

5) Was ASPI installed correctly? Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files

folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe).

6) Enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI: From the Retrospect Directory hit

Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

7) Update the driver software for your SCSI card(s) at their manufacturers' websites.

8) the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer and try the tape drive there as the lone SCSI device.

9) the drive may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on multiple tapes after changing cables, terminators and computers, then the drive, being the only factor that has not changed, is the culprit--send it back to your vendor for repairs.

Archived