Old Backup- NO index

I used retrospect on Mac OSX in 2004 to make an archive set of old job files. I now need to restore the set, but do not have the machine that made the backup, so i don't have the index to the set, and i don't have a copy of Retrospect.

How do i restore a backup from an old set?

Is there a way to create a new index from the 25 CDs i have as the backup set?[i do have the indexd CD for the set]

Will the current Mac Version of Retrospect work?

Which version should i use?

your help is most appreciated.

CP

...i don't have the index to the set, and i don't have a copy of Retrospect.

Just so we're on the same page, Retrospect uses the term "catalog" for the list of files in a backup set/media set.

How do i restore a backup from an old set?

First thing will be to obtain a copy of Retrospect, as the data in its backup sets is stored in a proprietary format. Although the current version, Retrospect 8.2, will read backup sets created in Retrospect 6, I'd recommend using Retrospect 6.1, as you probably don't really know which version of Retrospect created the backup set. Retrospect 6.1 is available for download from the Retrospect website, but you will need a license code to be able to install and run the software. You'll need to call customer service to find out what options you have for purchase. The other issue is that Retrospect 6.1 will not run under OS 10.6, so you'll need to find a computer that runs under an earlier OS.

Is there a way to create a new index from the 25 CDs i have as the backup set?

You can rebuild the catalog from the media, though the process can be tedious. Also, depending on how these CDs were created and stored, there is always the possibility that one or more of the disc members may not be readable at this point (if so, you can skip them during the rebuild process).

I do have the indexd CD for the set.

What do you mean by this? If you mean you have a copy of a recent catalog for the backup set on this CD, that would be extremely helpful. Obviously, if this CD is Finder-readable, you can just copy the appropriate catalog to a local hard-drive volume. If it has catalogs that are themselves stored as part of a backup set, it will be much quicker to reconstruct this backup set's catalog so you can then retrieve the catalog from your main backup set.

There will probably be issues that come up along the way, so don't hesitate to get back to us with questions. Good luck!