Restart Retro Client via Terminal

Does anyone know how to turn off the retrospect client via terminal? I'm having difficulties with my clients showing up in the Sources list using multicast. When I disable and enable the client (by pressing command and clicking the Off button) it will then reappear in the list.

This is very annoying/tedious since it happens almost everyday and I have to manage about 40 machines.

I'm hoping there is a terminal command I could use that does the same thing (via remote desktop or ssh) so I don't have to visit the users desk everyday saying "hey our backup system f****** sucks", I need to disable/reenable the client to continue.

Any ideas?

Clients: v6.2.029 w/ OSX 10.6.4/10.5.8

Server: v8.2.0 (399)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

To start, use:

sudo /Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient

Thanks for the info, Dave. However, I do not find this to work from Remote Desktop when sending remote Unix commands. The process launches and Retrospect Client turns on on the remote machine, but the task never completes within Remote Desktop. Clicking the stop button in ARD turns the process back off on the client. Any other ideas for starting the client?

Thx,

Fred

• 4 years later...

Is it possible to remotely control Retrospect Engine on a server Mac thru Terminal / ssh?

I'm running Mac Retrospect 12, that as for now, has a bug the prevents client Mac to use Retrospect own remote control of the Engine.

I could simply use Apple's Remote Desktop to access the server Engine, but it is usually in use by a colleague, therefore I cannot (it's not really nice :-) ) take control of the serve thru Remote Desktop while he's working on the server at the same time.

I'd like to remote control Retrospect Engine thru Terminal. Is it possible / feasible?

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW - if you are running 10.8.x or better, and use the built-in screen sharing on Mac OS X, you can log in with another user while your real user is still using the machine. Your remote "login" is invisible to the user at the keyboard. You can log in, do your thing with Retro, and log out. The only thing the user will notice is slightly degraded performance while you're on.

You have to have more than one user defined to do this, but all you have to do is use the "other" user's login name and it works.

(I set up all my machines with a separate, and mostly unused "admin" user. "admin" owns all the apps, and any "system" files, and the normal users don't have write access. That way the normal user can't mess up the machine without a little extra effort.)