Backup fails with Error 106 (data overwrite attempt)

Trip

I have been using Retrospect Professional (Version 7.6.111) on my Dell Inspiron 8600 (Windows XP Pro/SP3) for several years. Recently, backup to one of my backup sets has started failing with the following errors:

--

10/20/2010 8:48:12 AM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

Additional error information for Disk Backup Set member "1-Inspiron 8600", Can't write to file E:\Retrospect\Inspiron 8600\1-Inspiron 8600\AA000709.rdb, error -1023 (already exists)

Trouble writing: "1-Inspiron 8600" (998539264), error -106 (data overwrite attempt)

--

As far as I can tell, Retrospect is trying to write a file (AA000709.rdb) but cannot because the file already exists. Why this is so I can't imagine. I know the disk has no errors and Retrospect is able to backup to other backup sets without problem.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer to find a work-around for this problem.

Thanks,

Trip

Daniels,

Thank you so much for your help. I took a look at the file, as you suggested. The problem turned out to be not the permissions but that the file was empty. I'm not sure how this 'empty' file got created but I deleted it and after that backup ran fine.

Thanks again,

Trip