Enable Optical Device Instructions Are WRONG!

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I've found the "Enable Optical Device Support" article here http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=9720&r=0.1147882

but the instructions are incorrect at least for me.

I'm running a MacPro 2.66 Quad Core Xeon with 10.6.3

Retrospect 8.1.626 and RDU 8.11103

The instructions say to go to

/Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/retro.ini

But that's not what I have available. The RetrospectEngine.bundle is not something that can be opened, at least not on my system. Instead, the retro.ini which is what the article says needs to be edited is sitting right in the /Library/Application Support/Retrospect folder. Also, when I open retro.ini there is no "DisableOpticalDrivers setting" as it states in the article. Instead I have this:

[Options]

HideIcon=0

[Devices]

Ignore1="DELL VCD"

Ignore2="DELL VIRTUAL CDROM"

[OEM]

EditionOEM=0

Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do here? It doesn't seem like any of this applies to my optical drive. Why is a Dell anything in there? Almost seems like a windows RDU is installed or something but that's not what I downloaded.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance to the end users who provide support to these forums!!

As a total aside - RANT WARNING!!!

In case anyone from EMC reads these forums, YOU REALLY SCREWED UP WITH THE 8x RELEASE FOR MAC. I'm a professional user and have been for 10 years. I'm beyond pissed at how obviously greedy and shortsighted you've been in releasing a basically UNUSABLE product that people rely on. SHAME ON YOU.

• Like 7

Ok, so I found the thread that addresses my above problem but I can't get an optical drive to work. I've tried both the internal which does not seem to be compatible (TOTALLY ridiculous and unacceptable that the stock config doesn't work) but I've also tried an external firewire which IS listed as compatible (LaCie 16x DVD-R) and still doesn't work.

I can see both drives in the media window, I've added a dvd to the media set but when I load it, I just get the flashing question mark and it says it needs media. Retrospect doesn't seem to have any control over the drive at all. The Retro engine IS running.

Can anyone help? Are optical drives working in the 8.2 Beta?

Sorry, but I need to move on with my life and my client so I will be double posting in another forum.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the directions and was successful. Be sure that when you drill down to the .bundle that you right-click on the bundle. Then from the contextual menu, choose "show package contents". then continue. the proper file is inside this bundle.

good luck

greg

• 2 months later...

I too am very frustrated and disallusioned. I have used Retrospect as my main source of back up for many many years and now I don't trust it. I can't make my DVD drives work and I do not trust backing up to hard drives only.

Plus, Why should we have to change the program to allow retrospect to see my optical drive? Makes me wary... IS my back up actually safe? Is it 100% reliable?

L

Why should we have to change the program to allow retrospect to see my optical drive?

Because optical devices are not fully supported. From the Roxio Retrospect 8.2 Read Me:

Known issues with this release

The following is a list of features or functionality that is not present in Roxio Retrospect 8.

Optical device support is deactivated in this release. Optical device support will be reactivated in a future release. To enable optical device support, understanding that the user interface for interacting with optical devices may not be polished or complete, please refer to the Retrospect Knowledgebase. http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9720&p=2 .

The code base is new and still quite immature. The new code base program has only been out for a couple of years. If the provided workaround is not acceptable, then wait until optical drives are fully supported.

If you are having problems with your specific DVD drive, then you might want to get a supported DVD drive.

Russ

• 2 years later...

New code base? Really? The ReadMe is for Retrospect 8.2. We're currently at Retrospect 10.1, two "major" releases later. Major releases that we've had to pay for to get. And still no sign of the "future release" in which optical drives will be supported properly.

However, both the built-in DVD in my MacBook and the old Sony external USB/FireWire DVD work reasonably well with Retrospect. It's an annoyance, though, having to stop the Retrospect Engine to use the DVD drives in other OS X Applications. I have it set up so that the Engine isn't started at system startup, and I only run the Engine when I'm running a backup.

It appears you are replying to a forum thread from 2010. Most Retrospect customers now back up onto hard disks, NAS devices and tape. We have greatly seen a reduction in support requests for optical hardware compatibility, so we have been focusing engineering resources into the higher demand backup devices.

• 2 years later...

I know that this is an old post, but I came across it today.

I agree, that this is still needed. One of the things I used to do quite easily with Retrospect 6 is backup a video archive onto multiple DL DVDs - say a 35 GB video project onto 5 DVDs, and have a Retrospect catalog of it - then I can get it off my drives. Now that I'm trying to do this on Retrospect 11.5, it seems completely unintuitive, undocumented, and difficult to figure out - if I can even figure it out, that is....