Starting App for the First Time

HI Guys - I'm not the most technical so I just have a couple of questions. When you start the app for the first time on the iphone it asks for

• Server

• Password

Can you let me know what these could be please. I take it's not my web server but the computer that the Retrospect in installed on? Is this correct and how would I find the Server Credentials?

HI Guys - I'm not the most technical so I just have a couple of questions. When you start the app for the first time on the iphone it asks for

• Server

• Password

Can you let me know what these could be please. I take it's not my web server but the computer that the Retrospect in installed on?

The iPhone app is a stripped down Retrospect console. Think Retrospect console. The Retrospect engine thinks that the iPhone app is a Retrospect console.

There are three components to the Retrospect suite:

(1) Retrospect engine - does all the work. This is "Retrospect" proper.

(2) Retrospect console - the GUI interface, chats with the engine to cause things to happen and to show results and status over the GUI interface.

(3) Retrospect client - runs on LAN machines, chats with Retrospect engine to back up the client machine.

The "server" will be the machine on which Retrospect engine is installed. The password is one that you set up when you installed Retrospect. It may be different from the admin password that you set up for the server itself. See page 17 of the Retrospect 8 Getting Started Guide.

The client chats with the engine over port 497 (UDP and TCP), and the engine uses multicast and broadcast to do client discovery.

The console (and iPhone app) chats with the engine over port 22024. Make sure that you aren't blocking that port.

how would I find the Server Credentials?

If you don't know what they are, then you are up the creek without a paddle.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to the Retrospect application Preferences General tab you will find the information you are looking for. If you cannot remember what your password is you have the ability to change it from that screen. Your server address should be the fully qualified DNS name or IP address of your primary Retrospect backup computer.