Intermittent transaction log backups

lordrahl94

I keep having intermittent issues with the transaction log backups. I'm running retrospect 7.7.

Here is the error I'm getting.

"Trouble reading files, error -3841 ( There is no current database backup. This log backup cannot be used to roll forward a preceding database backup.)"

I am running a full database backup every morning at 1am that works without error. I have the transaction log backup running every two hours starting at 2am.

I am able to get the backups running properly every time it stops working, but within a few days I'm getting the same error again. There does not seem to be any pattern to when it stops working. Sometimes it will work fine most of the week, sometimes less than a day.

Please help me. This has been going on for over a month now. Thank you.

After searching through the sql server configuration and error logs, I finally determined the problem. The sql server's daily maintenance plan included rebuilding and shrinking the database at 1am. I assume that the master backup would run just before this, then the transaction log backup would detect that the master backup was different from the current state of the database. I changed the backup schedule and it has been working fine for the last few days.

Thank you very much for all your help.