Problems with LaCie 24x/10x/40x U&I CD-RW drive

Doesn't work with Retrospect 5.0.205 + driver update 2.9 on Mac OX 10.1.5 + ToastLite 5.02 (all latest).

Pre-sales support said this would work, but now I go to web site and the drive is listed as unqualified.

Looking for Dantz assistance ...

Regards,

Walter

Did Dantz's pre-sales people tell you that this drive would work? If so, I"m very sorry that you got wrong information. If you'd like to send me, via private message, the name of the person that you spoke with, or your customer number if you have it, I can be sure that this is corrected.

This drive is still in testing. Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

• 7 months later...

Has there been any update on this drive? I don't see it in either the qualified or unqualified list. I was actually able to use mine for a backup without error, but it was incredibly slow, only 24MB/s on Firewire. I have not downloaded the latest driver, yet, though.

Thanks,

Dennis

The LaCie 24x/10x/40x U&I is based on a Sanyo mechanism. We have traditionally not been able to offer support for drives with Sanyo mechanisms, as they did not meet with our quality standards. After working with the manufacturer for better support, we certainly hope that this will be changed in the future.

Dantz spends tremendous resources on testing and qualifying various backup devices with Retrospect to ensure it is doing what you want a backup product to do: meticulously and carefully making sure that your data is backed up properly.

The next version of Retrospect is expected to dramatically change CD drive support, allow support of more drives then ever before. There is no ETA at this time. The product is currently being beta tested.

Archived