Retrospect Error -647 (resource not found)

I have been getting the error:

Scanning incomplete, error -647 (resource not found)

It happend my Main Server for weeks now. No backups are taking place on the most important data set. I called Retrospect support and they were no help at all, they said the error was not a retrospect error, yet it appears in Retrospect!

This error occurs when scanning hard disks prior to backing up, it happens on all of the Local drives. Retrospect is installed on this system. All of the other resources backup fine, all are other machines in the network.

I started the backup and watched it, it started scanning the main volume, a 1.4 TB RAID array, when it got to about 100,700 files it just stopped, error -647 and went on to the next resource set to back up.

I have run chkdsk on the volume and there are no errors. I deleted the script and recreated it and it still does it.

I am at a loss, Googling these errors is counter productive since there is a - in the error number, it excludes the results. If I search "error -647" I get 2 results and both are irrelevant. There is no mention of this particular error on these forums. If I search for Error -647 I get hundreds of posts regarding errors and I have to manually sort through them and read every one to search for that error. Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack.

I have a current support contract and ASM. I pay for support!!!! I do not call all the time, the last time was nearly a year ago! now I need help and what happens, they blow me off....

Sorry I'm blowing off steam, Can anyone in here help me, the yo-yos in support cant!

Clint

Sometimes, as you note, Retrospect just gives up when things aren't perfect.

Here's my best suggestions (perhaps others can make other suggestions):

(1) make sure that your filesystem is good, not wound on itself. Take the RAID volume offline, run a filesystem checking utility. That will ensure you aren't seeing this issue. However, the fact that you have run chkdsk and the fact that it happens on all volumes seems to indicate that this isn't the problem.

(2) define Retrospect "subvolumes", try to isolate the part of the volume that has the problematic file or filesystem issue. When you define a subvolume, Retrospect only scans from that part of the filesystem tree down, doesn't scan the entire volume. By, um, process of elimination, you may be able to locate the problematic file or directory. However, the fact that you seem to indicate that it happens on all local volumes perhaps indicates that this approach will not be successful.

(3) There is, of course, the remote possibility that you've got a rootkit or something in your OS code that is mucking about with the filesystem. The only way I know to check for this is to boot from a different volume (or, preferably something like a CD, such as a linux CD) and check the filesystem independently of the system you were using.

(4) There could be a remote possibility that you have a corrupt set of Retrospect preferences (configxx.dat and .bak files). You don't provide your version of Retrospect, and the name of the config file changes with major Retrospect revisions, as does its location (you don't provide any OS version info either). Only way to tell if this is the problem is to quit Retrospect, save away your config file somewhere so you can put it back if that's not the problem, restart Retrospect, enter your license code. You will have lost all your scripts, etc., but you can then restore the config file from an earlier backup when things were working (hopefully you have a backup). If you don't have a backup, then recreate a script, sources, etc., try that.

The config file holds preferences, scripts, selectors, etc. It may be that something in that file is causing Retrospect to barf.

Good luck.

Russ

Exactly what version of Retrospect?

[color:red]7.6 - Just uninstalled it, and installed 7.7 today.[/color]

Exactly what hardware configuration?

[color:red]Dell Poweredge 1850 - 4GB Ram and Xeon 3GHz Dualcore CPU

DELL PERC 4/DC RAID Controller - OS Drives - 150GB

DELL PERC 4e/Si RAID Controller - Data Drives - 1.4TB

Adaptec 39160/3960D - Tape Drives

Dell Powervault 124T - Dual 16 Tape Medium Slots - Single Ultrium III Drive

Dell Powervault 114T - Two Dell Ultrium III Tape Drives[/color]

Exactly what OS version / patch level?

[color:red]Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard - SP2- Last updated with all Windows Updates 3/10/2010[/color]

Exactly what "several things" did you try when you attempted to troubleshoot the problem?

[color:red]I ran Chkdsk /f on all drives in the system, Repeated this procedure till all drives reported no allocation errors. I Reconfigured the Backup job many ways that include, deleting the Server Source and re-adding it, Removing the Source and adding individual subvolumes instead. Deleted the Script and recreated from scratch. Deleted the selectors and recreated. Verified devices all functioning normally, ran test backups and restoration of that data from a source that was not failing. Ran All Windows Updates and rebooted 3/10/2010. Contacted Retrospect Support who then told me the -614 error was not a Retrospect Error and that I needed to verify the integrity of my system and verify there is no file corruption. I again ran chkdsk on all drives to verify there was no errors reported.[/color]

What were your results?

[color:red]I tried backing up again and got the same error. Then I posted to this forum.[/color]

[color:green]UPDATE: Today I uninstalled Retrospect 7.6. I then installed Retrospect 7.7. I did not delete my Retrospect data folders/registry entries etc... When Retrospect 7.7 was launched and I put in my Product Key all my scripts, backup sets etc... were in tact. I ran another Test backup without changing anything. And so far it's working. It will take a while to finish and verify. But Yay! It's running and backing up the data volume it's been [color:purple]barfing[/color] :/ on![/color]

Edited by Guest