Best practice - remote administration W2008 R2

cliesch

We are running 7.7.208 on Windows 32bit 2008 R2. I've been reading the forums trying to understand the best practice for setting up Retrospect on a server so multiple people can get in and manage it.

In reference to http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7891&p=2 it seems to be the best practice among the Retrospect community to start Retrospect within a RDP session. Is this right?

Seems like most Windows server based software runs as a service, and not as an application. Am I missing something?

My main problem is that when I reboot, I get this simplifed console - retrorun.exe that just shows me my 8 queues. I understand by reading these forums that many people rename retrorun.exe so it does not start by accident.

Tonight when there is a lull in the backups, I'll go through the Tech Brief on how to setup for Terminal Services - but my instincts tell me something is wrong.

Also, I saw on installation that there is a "run in Terminal Service" option - I don't think I checked that. How do I go back and change it?

thank you

For Remote Desktop, I think I automatically enabled Terminal Services on my 2008 R1 SP2 server when I allowed connection by Remote Desktop. (Remote tab via Control Panel > System > Remote Settings > System Properties window.)

In Server Manager, I see in Configuration > Services that "Terminal Services," "Terminal Services Configuration," and "Terminal Services UserMode Port Redirector" are all running.

In my experience with Remote Desktop and Retrospect 7.6 (Server 2003 R2) and brief experience with Retrospect 7.7 (Server 2008 R1), if Retrospect's running in another user's account or the System account, I get the simple Retrospect Activity Monitor if I try to open Retrospect. To get to the normal user interface, I have to click the green button in the Activity Monitor to gracefully stop Retrospect in the other account, then open Retrospect.

If you want enable other users only to stop or pause running scripts, or exit Retrospect, Activity Monitor would be sufficient.

I think using VNC (e.g., TightVNC) instead of RDP would be one way to skip the Retrospect Activity Monitor, but I've not had time to verify this yet.

thanks for the input. We renamed retrorun.exe to retrorun.old and rebooted the windows 2008 r2 server, and I could onced again get to the administrative gui.

Now I can rdp into the unit all I want! awesome. Also, we have a nice remote tool called Bomgar that drops us right into the console. It uses vnc under the hood.

I wish Retrospect had a administrative console like Backup Exec where you just load the client on your administrative workstation, and then contect and manage the retorpect server via that method. It would also be nice if Retrospect ran as a service instead of an application.

Overall we are going now.