Error -557 Transaction already complete

I'm starting a new thread on Error -557. I believe it's a code thrown by Exchange in process of the RS-Exchange dialogue.

Exchange Storage Group (Full) backup: No errors

Exchange Storage Group (Differential) backup: Error -557 on first storage group

Exchange Mailbox Backups (Full): Error -557 at 20% failure rate.

It's almost like Exchange is saying "that's already backed up, go away", at which point Retrospect bombs on that box and moves on to the next.

Thoughts? I keep forgetting RS support is closed at 3PM my time.

RS 7.7 with latest patches & hotfixes

Windows Server 2003 32-bit w/ Exchange 2007 SP2

Could this be related to the fact that I'm using Recovery Storage Groups? Perhaps the RSG is conflicting with RS' efforts?

Mike,

both systems are running Windows Server 2003 x64. We are not backing up the local drives. Within the client we chose "Selected Volumes" as Client source. There "Echxange Server Exchange Server" is selected containing two Storage Groups and "Exchange Mailboxes" containing roundabout 50 Mailboxes. So far I can see the error only shows up with some of the mailboxes. I did not see if always the same...

And the error started right the day we upgraded retrospect 7.6 to 7.7.

Many greetings

Dominique

We have Retrospect 7.7 running on Win 2000 server SP4, Exchange 2007 on Win Ser 2003 Ent x64, Exchange 2003 on Win Ser 2003 x32

Well over half of the 20 or so individual mailboxes are showing this error, more on the Exch 07 box, but still some on Exchange 03.

Note that a full Exchange storage backup completes without problem.

Thanks, yes, the plan is to retire that server in the next month or two. However, I doubt this has any bearing on the -557 Transaction errors that have started since the upgrade to Retrospect 7.7. Today the error appeared with the backup of the full storage set, not just an individual mailbox. It does seem to happen with much greater frequency to Exch 07 mailboxes.

This is a serious bug in a main feature of the product and I'm looking at rolling back to version 7.6 as EMC hasn't responded with any information about a fix.

You said it is happening to you when you backup a full storage set. Are you using Differential backup for the Exchange storage groups when this happens?

I have noticed that it does not happen if I run a Normal: Full backup of the storage groups, but I find that I get the -557 error upon attempting differential.

We are experiencing the same error:

"Trouble reading files, error -557 (transaction already complete)"

Retrospect Server:

Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 x64 running Retrospect v7.7.208

Exchange Server:

Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 x64 running Exchange 2007 SP2 (v8.2 Build 176.2)

Backup selections:

"Exchange Server Exchange Server" with First and Second Storage Groups

"Exchange Mailboxes"

The Datastore backups succeed, the mailboxes succeed for about 80%, only a few mailboxes experience the -557 error. The error appeared when we upgraded to 7.7 as well.

Thanks,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Exchange server: Win 2003 R2 x64

Exchange 2007 SP1

Retrospect server: Win 2003 R2 x86

Version 7.7.208

Driver Update and Hot Fix:7.7.1.102

Backup Exchange Server(Full): OK!

Backup MailBoxes(Full): several mail boxes with error: "Trouble reading files, error -557 ( transaction already complete)"

Only happens with big mail boxes. Some examples:

07-03-2010 21:07:34: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 4693 files, 750,0 MB

Completed: 696 files, 74,3 MB, with 13% compression

07-03-2010 21:20:22: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2499 files, 1,3 GB

Completed: 1422 files, 839,8 MB, with 0% compression

I am trying EMC Retrospect. The errors began in the very first backup I have made.

Robin,

I see.

Final question. For the benefit of this thread - can you define "small number of customers" i.e. operating system, exchange version, etc.

The reason I ask is - my implementation of Retrospect involves newly installed servers running all the latest patches and services packs. Very vanilla and very straight forward, hence my confusion why 7.7 doesn't "just work".

Thanks again Robin,

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...