Error 109 - Trying to restore files from old tapes

I recently had to replace my old HP SureStore DAT 24 SCSI tape drive with a new HP StorageWorks DAT 40 USB. I have not had the need to access any of the old tapes for over a year or so. Recently, after trying to restore files from an old tape, I discovered that my drive would not load any of my tapes.

After research, I found that the HP Storageworks DAT 40 USB was my best bet because it can read DDS2, DDS3, and DDS4 tapes. I do have 6 DDS tapes but will probably have to live without getting that data for now.

Here's my problem...Retrospect finds locates my specific file in my backup set and informs me of the appropriate tape that it is on. When I load the correct tape, Retrospect confirms that it is the correct tape, however, when it tries to search for the file, I eventually, after a few minutes, receive an error. Error 109 (unexpexted filemark or FTP end of file)

Can I still read the data from tapes written by my old SureStore DAT 24 drive with my new StorageWorks DAT 40 USB? What are my alternatives? Any help would be appreciated.

I see that you have made this same post to the forum for Retrospect 8 under Mac OS X, in addition to posting here for ancient versions of Retrospect running on Mac OS 9 and earlier:

Same post in Retrospect 8 forum

Just exactly what version of MacOS are you running, what version of Retrospect (x.x.x) are you running, and, if you are running a version of Retrospect older than Retrospect 8.0, what Retrospect Driver Update (x.x.x.x) do you have?

The answer to your question will depend on the missing information.

Russ

Sorry for the delay...Memorial day weekend.

Here's what I have:

OS 10.4.11

Retrospect 6.0.204

I wasn't sure where to post because this one is titled "Pre-OSX" and the other is "Retrospect 8.0."

We upgraded to Retrospect 6 and was backing up to DVD for a few years. The tape backups were from 1997-2003. And the DVD backups were from 2003-2006.

If the problem is that my old tape drive was misaligned, would my only solution be to get that one fixed? Yikes!

Here's what I have:

OS 10.4.11

Retrospect 6.0.204

I wasn't sure where to post because this one is titled "Pre-OSX" and the other is "Retrospect 8.0."

The correct forum would be here:

Desktop, Workgroup, and Server for Mac OS X

Post any subsequent posts there because this is not the right place. Supply your complete configuration information (including your RDU version, which you still haven't provided) as well as your problem when you repost.

I'm not going to attempt to suggest any steps for you because you still have not provided the information I requested, and that information is key to a solution.

Russ