Tandberg VXA-2 & 4.3 Compatible?

I just purchased a brand new Tandberg VXA-2 SCSI drive. I'm running it off of a Mac G4 with OS 9.2.2 using Retrospect 4.3. I keep getting the "no device found" message. I have taken everything off of the chain except the Tandberg. I know the SCSI chain is good - I get grreen lights on my SCSI monitoring cables. I can find and use my old Sony DDS drive without a hitch. Is this a compatibility issue? Do I need to upgrade this version of Retrospect? Is there a list of compatible drives somewhere? Thanks!

I just purchased a brand new Tandberg VXA-2 SCSI drive. ... Is this a compatibility issue?

Yes. Minimum version for support of the VXA-2 is Retrospect 5.0. See:

VXA-2 SCSI Retrospect Support

Don't know if it can still be purchased, but you should contact EMC support. The old 5.1 version also is provided on the Retrospect 6.x CD, but you would need a license code from EMC.

Do I need to upgrade this version of Retrospect?

Yes.

Is there a list of compatible drives somewhere?

Yes. See:

Retrospect Supported Devices database

Or you could make the bold move of moving into the present and upgrading to MacOS X and run Retrospect 6.1 or, when it stabilizes, Retrospect 8.x.

Russ

Hi Russ, Thanks for your reply. As far as making the move to OS X, I have 6 machines running OS X. There is a reason I have this old G4 running OS 9 - it has to do with SCSI drives and software. That's why I'm trying to get this drive to read these files - I want to reconstitute some very old files and formats. I'm hoping that Retrospect 5 will do the trick. Thanks again.

Ross