Hardware Database Available

• 3 weeks later...

Mayoff,

How often is it updated? I am looking at a highly recommended TDK External Firewire 16x10x40 for my G4 cube, but in looking at the database, it isn't supported. is ther anything is the works for future plany to support the product? I'm new to this, but it seems that the newer faster CD burners are not supported. Is this just my imagination or what? You folks seem to be THE backup software on the market, so either people are buying the burners just to burn music and not use them as back ups or there is another product that support the machines. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Steve

Each time a Retrospect Driver Update is released (about once a month), the hardware database will be updated as well.

We make every effort to test and qualify new drives as quickly as possible while still ensuring complete reliability. As the testing process can be lengthy, though, there will always be a bit of a lag time before a drive that's available to the public can be qualified for use with Retrospect. Recent focus on OS X support has also meant slightly longer qualification times.

This particular drive is in the testing process; please check back periodically for further information.

Best Regards,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't the Universal Buslink Corporation drives appear in the list? Using the search engine does find some of the drives under BUSlink but shouldn't they be in the master list - especially since some of their drives come bundled with Retrospect Express????

Why don't the Universal Buslink Corporation drives appear in the list? Using the search engine does find some of the drives under BUSlink but shouldn't they be in the master list - especially since some of their drives come bundled with Retrospect Express????

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way we can also see the performance data for the different drives?

The reason I ask, is that I bought a 16x QPS Firewire drive a while back and the backup speed to it was bad - worse than my old 4x Yamaha via USB. After some communication with Dantz Tech support, I found out that the mech in the QPS drive didn't support packet writing very well (something about the cache needing to be flushed for every write), and this really impacted performance.

I'm looking to buy a new drive, but I don't want a repeat of the QPS experience. Is there any way I can find out what drives suffer from this problem, or better yet what sort of benchmark data you have seen so far?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I found out from forum admin that the Knowledgebase and hardware compatibility search engines are out of commission until Monday. Can you tell me if Retrospect Express is compatible with Backpack CD Rewriters? Mine shows up in the Environment tab as 1:0 Backpack CD-Rewriter-8B version 1.0A. However, the driver column is blank. My ASPI check seemed OK, and I upgraded the Retrospect driver from version 2.6.106 to 2.7.117 with no change. When I try to back up to the drive I get the message, "Sorry, no disc storage devices found."

My device is connected to my laptop via a USB cable.

Thanks, Anthony Magistrale.

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks!

Same problem (more or less) here.

On ID 0:2, not recognized by Retrospect.

Says in the knowledgebase that Retrospect does not work too well with devices on a 0 address. So if you have easy access to the drive config, set it to another SCSI ID.

I'm not going to take appart the server rack to get to my tape config for a backup app - I'll go to the competition.

By the way - there's no response from support either on the postings.

Veritas, here's a new customer.

The Knowledgbase record specifically refers to tape autoloaders, not other types of SCSI devices. The text is below:

Dantz does not recommend assigning any autoloader or tape library the SCSI ID of 0 (zero). Autoloaders assigned an ID of 0 may not display loader menus and options correctly, and in some cases may cause hanging or freezing of the device and/or your system.

Thanks for your reply.

Agreed - wrong recap.

But point remains - why would Retrospect not be able to deal with address 0 autoloaders?

To give you the full story: I rebuilt this server since it was filled with test-stuff and it has to move into a live environment. I was trying out Retrospect on it - and it worked fine.

Then, after rebuilding the server, Retrospect suddenly sees the autoloader on a different address, and will not work.... This is clearly a bug. Usually there are 'tricks' to solve these - but in this case... nothing sofar.

Mayoff,

I feel that I owe you an appology...

After letting it lie for a couple of days I 'had' to fix this.

So, digging.... and digging... Found that the drivers in Device Manager are enabled :-(

Disabled the MS drivers - and off I went.

The problem was behind the keyboard, not in Retrospect at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hardware compatibilty information for the HP DVD 200 drives shows firmware version 1.06. This firmware does not allow a second DVD to be added to a backup set and therefore should not be listed as qualified. On June 25 HP released firmware version 1.27 for the drives which corrects this problem. This should be shown as the qualified version.

Regards, Rich 6-29

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if any one could help me out here. I did a search for this drive and came up with nothing. I have retropect Express 4.3 and it says there isn't a driver installed for my HP C1533a DDS drive. I have done a search on the net for this. But I could find is that Retropect works with this drive.

Am I missing something here or somthing?

Thanks! laugh.gif

-Locutus

Archived