Error Message

jroth

I have two questions.

1. I am getting the error "Can't save Snapshot in Workstation Data [003], error -646 (add resource failed). What does this error mean and how do it fix it?

2. Is their a place online where I can get a better explication of all the errors in my error log? I have look in my User's guide, but it does not list all the errors.

Thank you.

The Knowledgebasecolor=blue> is the most comprehensive source of information available for error messages.

However, troubleshooting for the error that you're getting does not currently show up in our online resources. -646 (add resource failed) indicates the backup set catalog is corrupt. You can rebuild the catalog, recycle the backup set or start a new backup set to get past the error.

• 2 weeks later...

Amy,

I have tried the suggestions you made. I have rebuilt the catalog and started a new backup set and I still get the error "Can't save Snapshot in Clients data, error -646 (add resource failed)".

For whatever it is worth, here is a little more background of what I am trying to do. I am using Retrospect server to backup 83 client's machines. The catalog is a file that compress' the data and is about 11.5 gig's large when it is done. About 1/3 of the way through the log, I get the -646 error on every client's Snapshot backup.

• 2 weeks later...

The hard drive is local, it is on our backup server and it is Raid-5 drive with 200 GBs of space.

If I store the catalog data to a network drive it slows down the backup too much, and the backup doesn't complete in time. Also, we don't have another drive with the space for the backup (12 GBs)

If the problems affect more than one backup set, you may have a hardware or system configuration problem that is causing repeated corruption of the backup set catalogs stored on your hard disk. We have seen these problems caused by specific failing hard disk.

Try running a surface disk check using Window's Scan Disk utility or another third party disk checking utility to verify that there are no bad blocks on the hard disk.

Try storing your catalog files on a different hard disk. We have seen these errors caused by an unspecified hardware problem.

Verify that you are using the latest or the recommended version of disk or interface driver for the hard disk you are using.

Try installing and using Retrospect on a different computer. If the problems go away, something was set up incorrectly in the original computer's hardware or system software that caused regular corruption of data. Regardless of whether or not you are seeing problems with other applications or even with Windows on the original computer, if moving Retrospect solves the problem, then something was not working properly on the original computer. You may not be able to determine the cause, given how complex computers are.