What's up with limit on "snapshots"?

Don Lee

I'm getting this error:

Date: 5/23/2017 9:40 AM

Can't use Open File Backup option for OS (C:) on TLOlibrary, error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)

Windows 7 for the Retro backup machine. Windows 7 for the client. NTFS FS backed up. Retrospect Trial. (windows v12)

What does this mean? The backup seems to run anyway, but is it somehow incomplete? How do I "fix" it?

• Like 1

Hello, I am getting this error also.
Mac Pro OS 10.10.5, Retrospect 12.5.0, backing up Windows XP using Client 10.5.0 (110)
Scanning now, taking forever..help.

Gregg

gfisher@adcomm.tv

I'm getting this error:

Date: 5/23/2017 9:40 AM

Can't use Open File Backup option for OS (C:) on TLOlibrary, error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)

Windows 7 for the Retro backup machine. Windows 7 for the client. NTFS FS backed up. Retrospect Trial. (windows v12)

What does this mean? The backup seems to run anyway, but is it somehow incomplete? How do I "fix" it?

That error isn't caused in Retrospect, R is just reporting it. The problem is in the Winodws system being backed up. 

I believe that the problem is that the Windows Shadow Copy provider has a still active shadow copy from a recent backup. This can happen if the backup client is disconnected in the middle of a backup.

You can either leave it alone for a while and allow the shadow copy to time out and be aborted, or reboot the machine.

BTW, prefligh1, why are you *still* running XP on a machine connected to a network?

++PLS

• 3 weeks later...