Jump to content


Photo

Retrospect 9 - Can't Write, Error -1010 (API Request Bad)


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SethR

SethR

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

I'm running Retrospect 9.0.2 on OSX 10.8. Ran into this problem I haven't seen before. Here's the log:

 

+  Restore using Restore Assistant - 4/7/17 11:09 AM at 4/7/17 (Activity Thread 1)

    To volume Restored...

    ****** Warning: volume "Restored" has the "Ignore ownership" setting enabled. ******

    -  4/7/17 11:10:13 AM: Restoring from Tetro Editorial, Snapshot /Volumes/Workspace RAID1 (ED1SR)...., 7/21/09 4:17:54 PM

    *File "/Volumes/Workspace RAID1 (ED1SR)/OLD Files : Folders/Old Render Files 09_12/WANKA uncomp to show WV/Sort by assem-FIN-00000003": can't write, error -1010 ( API request bad)

    !Trouble writing files, error -1010 ( API request bad)

    4/7/17 4:42:46 PM: Execution incomplete

    Remaining: 5851 files, 159.3 GB

    Completed: 22984 files, 423.9 GB

    Performance: 1,450.2 MB/minute

    Duration: 05:32:32 (00:33:13 idle/loading/preparing)



#2 Lennart Thelander

Lennart Thelander

    Retrospect Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationHelsingborg, Sweden

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

What is your hardware setup? (As detailed as possible, please).

 

Is the destination disk working properly when used outside Retrospect? For instance, copying a large number of files in the Finder.



#3 SethR

SethR

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

I'm using a Mac Pro (Early 2008), 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core intel xeon. 12 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM ram.

 

The drive is a Dell Powervault LTO5 drive.

 

The tape is part of a set of four LTO3/4 tapes with 12 backups on the set. I've run five restores just fine with no errors, then that error popped up on restoring the sixth backup on the tape. For the time being, I skipped it and moved on to restoring the seven backup on the set and it's going just fine.

 

I didn't try restoring that set that errored again. 



#4 Lennart Thelander

Lennart Thelander

    Retrospect Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationHelsingborg, Sweden

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

You are running a restore. The destination of the restore can't possibly be a tape drive. 

 

So once again:

What is the destination of the restore? (It looks like the volume is named "Restored"). What kind of hardware and how is it connected? Does it work when used in the Finder? 

 

New question: 

Have you verified the volume using a disk test application/tool?



#5 SethR

SethR

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

Oh, my bad. Yeah, the destination of the restore is an 8TB drive plugged into the Mac via USB. It is the same destination used when accomplishing all of the other restores that have not had any problem.

 

I have not done any volume verification. 

 

Would this error pop up if someone in the office had accidentally bumped the drive and momentarily disconnected it? I don't think that would have happened, but I wasn't present when the restore failed, so it is a possibility. 



#6 Lennart Thelander

Lennart Thelander

    Retrospect Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationHelsingborg, Sweden

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

Yes, it is possible that someone bumped the drive, but not likely.

 

USB isn't the most stable connection, in general.

 

The error "API request bad" indicates a software error.

 

An 8 TB drive? I didn't think they made them that large? Or do you mean an enclosure with two or more disks inside?

In the latter case, the disk (enclosure) have firmware in it. Is the firmware updated? Did you install any drivers or other software that came with the drive? Is that software updated?

 

Does your Mac have an extra USB card? Or you use the built-in cards? The extra USB card may need drivers and may have firmware, both of which may need updating.



#7 SethR

SethR

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Ran the backup again over a few days while out of the office, seems like everything went flawless this time. No errors. Must have been bumped originally or something. So my problem wasn't a problem after all.



#8 Lennart Thelander

Lennart Thelander

    Retrospect Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • LocationHelsingborg, Sweden

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad it worked. :)

 

It could have been a power surge or anything.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users