error 556 "backup client: network interface unavailable" but Retrospect has correct client IP address

x509

I recently added a new laptop client.  Two days ago I did some backups which worked fine.  Today I tried to change the backup scripts but got this error message.

I checked the client IP address in the Client Properties window, Access tab, and it matches the client's IP address,  So what can I do so that Retrospect recognizes this client?

x509

This happens to me occasionally after the server goes into hibernation.

I exit the Retrospect server, launches it again and the cures the problem.

Lennart,

Couple of points.  Ever since I upgraded to Retrospect 11, I have to reboot my system once Retrospect has run a backup.  It doesn't simply exit by itself.

Last night I followed your advice and I got Retrospect to recognize the missing client.  I started a backup script with that client and it started OK.  That script involves about six steps, each with a different folder or drive on that client.  Part way through the backup, the client went missing with a 556 error code.  So what happened?

Do I need to upgrade to Retrospect 12?

x509

Update.

Again today Retrospect could not find my new laptop.  So I shut down and restarted Restrospect.  Twice.  Still can't find that client.  So I rebooted the Retrospect host system.  Same result.

So I tried locating the client by its new IP address.  (Retrospect still has the old IP address for this client, and can't seem to update it)  I clicked on TEST and entered the client's IP address.  That worked, since   Retrospect reported that it found a client at that IP address.  Ugly, but I hoped I had solved the problem.  I was wrong. 

At the main client properties window, I clicked on the General tab and then clicked on the Refresh button.  Client status is STILL NOT CONNECTED.

So I'm out of ideas, and of patience.  What do I/can I do now?

x509

• 2 weeks later...

As this is (mainly) a user-to-user forum, I suggest you contact Retrospect support:

Support

So I did submit a problem report today on the support web page.  :angry:

I need a support contract to get support now.  Or I need to upgrade to Retrospect 12, and then i will get all of 30 days free support.  :wacko:

It doesn't seem as any forum member knows how to fix your problem, and that includes me. So your best bet is to get support from Retrospect.

I thought Retrospect still had pay-per-incident support?

It was your own choice to not buy a support contract. You get what you pay for, these days.

FYI, x509, there's a fix entitled "Fixed issue with configuration import for client network interfaces (#5703)" in Retrospect Windows 11.5.  You'll find it in the Release Notes for Retrospect Windows 12.0.  Since you say you have upgraded to Retrospect Windows 11, have you further upgraded to Retrospect Windows 11.5?