Moving Retrospect 13 for Mac onto a new hard drive

Hi folks,

I want to move my Retrospect to a new solid state drive with a fresh OS installed (and retire my existing drive).

I’ve found the instructions online which are pretty straightforward:

But I just want to double check Step 5 which asks you to type in a Terminal command to correct ownership of the files moved into the new Library/Application Support/Retrospect folder. (I don’t know anything about Terminal so it makes me nervous using it.)

So, as per the instructions, do I literally cut and paste the below text into Terminal and then press return?

cd /Library/Application\ Support/Retrospect/

sudo chown –R root:admin *

Then, I assume I’ll be prompted for an admin password and, once I enter that, press return again and everything is done?

I’d just like to be 100% sure before proceeding.

(I think a screen shot of this step would have been nice showing the Terminal app open with the command entered.)

Also, just out of curiosity, it would be nice to know what the Terminal commands mean in layman's terms.

Thank you

Yes, you should copy and paste those lines ONE AT A TIME into Terminal.

After the first command is executed, the prompt should change, as the instructions say.

When executing the second command, you will be prompted for your password. Note that you will not see anything while typing the password. Not the letters/digits, no asterisks, nothing.

Yes, you should copy and paste those lines ONE AT A TIME into Terminal.

After the first command is executed, the prompt should change, as the instructions say.

When executing the second command, you will be prompted for your password. Note that you will not see anything while typing the password. Not the letters/digits, no asterisks, nothing.

Thanks, Lennart. That's reassuring to have that clarity.

Just another question to be pedantic...

Is that dash before the R in the second line (sudo chown –R root:admin *) meant to be a standard hyphen "-" or an en dash "–". When it's cut and paste from the link it is an en dash. Just double checking in case it's a typographical mistake.

Is that dash before the R in the second line (sudo chown –R root:admin *) meant to be a standard hyphen "-" or an en dash "–". When it's cut and paste from the link it is an en dash. Just double checking in case it's a typographical mistake.

Ouch!!!

The article is wrong!!!!!

It is supposed to be a "minus" (as the opposite of a "plus"). I assume you would call it a "hyphen".