Retrospect keeps loosing members from backup sets

I'm running Retrospect 13.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.11.5. 

Backups are made on external disk with Disk Media sets.

On irregular intervals, but lately a couple of times per week, Retrospect shows the media sets as having no members.

Which is not true, because the members are just sitting on the disk, ready to be used.

I can fix this by rebuilding the catalog and adding the members back to the media set.

But a couple of days later, this starts all over again.

I've checked the backup logs, but they provide no info that points to forgetting about the members.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on here?

On irregular intervals, but lately a couple of times per week, Retrospect shows the media sets as having no members.

Which is not true, because the members are just sitting on the disk, ready to be used.

We have seen this issue in the past in the Media Sets window (though not recently), but for us it was an annoying but cosmetic issue, as backups to these media sets would run normally. Quitting/relaunching the console would often fix the problem; otherwise, we could correct the display by stopping and restarting the engine.

The problem went away for us after a version upgrade (I can't recall which upgrade it was, but it preceded 13). Sorry to hear that it still seems to be present in v13.

Do your backups fail because the correct member is not available, or is it simply that you cannot view the member status of the media set?

Weird: I rebuilt two media sets before I started this topic.

Both succeeded, but this time one of the two media sets is again missing the members.

+ Executing Rebuild at 22-08-16 16:44:10 (Activity Thread 3)

To Backup Set Backup MServe 1...
Scanned /Volumes/Backups 1/Backup/Backup MServe 1/Retrospect/Backup MServe 1/1-Backup MServe 1/ up to backup set data file index 1.107
Using fast rebuild
22-08-16 16:44:32: Finished scanning backup set data files
22-08-16 17:26:58: Execution completed successfully
Completed: 903.278 files, 638,6 GB
Performance: 22.850 MB/minute
Duration: 00:42:42 (00:14:05 idle/loading/preparing)

Do your backups fail because the correct member is not available, or is it simply that you cannot view the member status of the media set?

They fail because of the missing members.

Here's an example:

+ Normal backup using Backup MBPPRO at 09-08-16 00:00:01 (Activity Thread 1)

Can't access Backup Set Backup MBPPRO 2, error -1.101 (file/directory not found)

09-08-16 00:00:16: Execution incomplete

Just curious: why do you suggest this?

Because it is a cure for a variety of "weird" problems, such as yours. It is usually the first step in troubleshooting Mac problems.

The common denominator for your problems is your system volume.

Now, Twickland has posted a more plausible solution to your problem.

• 4 weeks later...