Error -1001 when trying to rebuild catalogue

LRSFC_DanJ

I have Retrospect 9.5.3.103 on Windows Server 2012 R2. I'm trying to rebuild the catalogue (again) so I can restore some files, but the rebuild procedure has failed twice.

The errors I got this time were:

Can't create Snapshot, error -1001 ( unknown Windows OS error)
Can't save Catalog File, error -1001 ( unknown Windows OS error)

Can anyone suggest what these errors might be and how I can fix them? I have an urgent requirement to restore some files but with the catalogue file broken it's not possible.

Why does the catalogue file break every so often anyway?

Thanks,
Dan Jackson (Lead ITServices Technician).

Generally this type of message indicates that Retrospect has run into an underlying windows OS error while performing a function.

You can check these by using the windows "net helpmsg 1001" command on the CLI.

Usually the message itself is not that helpful, in this case you will get "Recursion too deep; the stack overflowed."

However the point is that the error is in Windows. Checking the System Event log for the error may provide additional clues, as well as googling the windows error message itself. Try "event id 1001 Recursion too deep; the stack overflowed"

Thanks, that's been helpful - I didn't realise that corresponded to Windows event codes.

I've now looked in the event logs and identified it as most likely being an issue with the hard drive the catalogue file was being written to.

Thanks for your advice.

Catalog files can get very big, especially if you have few backupsets that remain in use for long periods between Recycling. Several Gigs and higher is not uncommon.

Consider creating separate duplication jobs for your config file and catalogs, so they are available as normal files (not a backup set) in the event of a Disaster.

See the User Guide > CH10 Management > Catalog & Config backups

and User Guide > CH10 Management > Moving Retrospect.

As you can imagine writing to the catalog files is quite intensive as the metadata for thousands of files is written in to them.

It is good practice where possible to use separate disk drives for Catalogs, Backupsets, and System / OS / Applications.

Retrospect also makes intensive use of the Windows Temp folders.