Retrospect building snapshot issues

pardy1as

I have been working on new backup sets on a new backup environment and am having major issues, I am hoping someone in the community can help me.

My environment:

Retrospect is installed on a virtual 2012 R2 server with 230 GB of free space on the C drive. It is backing up the virtual server, a File server with about 4.5 TB of data, one AD/DNS server, and one Mac client device. I have split each device into its own backup set and also have split up the file server into multiple sets to reduce the set size. This is all being backed up to a large 12 TB NAS.

When backing up the system we have continuously gotten errors when backing up all sets. The common issue is Retrospect continues to lose the media and requests the media, this then stops the execution and nothing starts up again once I have given it new media. It was recommended that I rebuilding the catalog files which I did on all but one drive because it is the largest drive and would take days.

After rebuilding the catalogs I continue to have errors where it freezes on building the snapshot. everything on the system runs fine, however the snapshot seems to freeze on the system. I have other backups running now to make sure that the issue happens on all of the backups, however I have found this issue on a multiple backups.

I tested running the backups without building the snapshot and I do not have any issues, everything runs and everything is happy. Then I tried running the backup with building the snapshot and the backup froze again.

Has anyone had this issue before?  I am really lost on this issue and could use some help.