If 2 "Macintosh HD" drives, can't catalog to booted one

This bug may seem ridiculous, but it is a Retrospect bug. Last month I had someone else wipe a hard drive and install OS X 10.10 on it because I couldn't do it myself at home. (App Store was at that time insisting I verify my credit card info in order to download the free OS X, but I've never bought anything through App Store; Apple fixed the App Store bug in about a week.) I had pulled the drive from a Mac Pro, because the Mac Pro was too heavy to haul to the other person. I forgot to tell the other person that there is another drive in the Mac Pro already named "Macintosh HD"; if I had remembered, the other person would have named the wiped drive "Macintosh HD New" or something similar instead of naming it "Macintosh HD".

When I put the drive back in the Mac Pro and specified the new "Macintosh HD" as the startup disk, OS X 10.10 booted fine. I then installed Retrospect 12 on the new drive; I merely had to be careful that that was not the old drive I was installing it on. However, when I attempted to create a File (yes, I know) Media Set on an external removable drive, Retrospect's dropdown for the catalog location defaulted to the proper folder on the old "Macintosh HD"--it could not navigate to the new "Macintosh HD". I then attempted to create a Disk Media Set, with the same problem.

I phoned Retrospect Tech Support; he said "You can't have 2 'Macintosh HD's." A few days later, when the App Store allowed me to download OS X 10.10, I wiped the new drive myself, renamed it "Macintosh HD New", and installed on it OS X 10.10 and Retrospect 12. The problem disappeared; the dropdown defaults to the proper folder in "Macintosh HD New" but can now navigate to "Macintosh HD"--which I don't want to use anyway.

If OS X had no problems with 2 "Macintosh HD"s, why should Retrospect?

You could have saved yourself some work by simply change the volume name in Finder (for instance, by adding "new" to the name, or naming it "Yosemite").

But I agree: Retrospect should have been able to distinguish between the two drives, even if they have the same name. And it normally does. Maybe it just your usage of the legacy "File" media set?

You could have saved yourself some work by simply change the volume name in Finder (for instance, by adding "new" to the name, or naming it "Yosemite").

But I agree: Retrospect should have been able to distinguish between the two drives, even if they have the same name. And it normally does. Maybe it just your usage of the legacy "File" media set?

Regarding my use of the legacy File media set, I said in the last sentence of my second paragraph that I also tried creating a Disk media set--with the same result. That means that Retrospect 12 tried to catalog the Disk media set on the old "Macintosh HD"; it couldn't navigate to the new "Macintosh HD", which it didn't even show in the drop-down.

IIRC, in July I did try changing the volume name of the new "Macintosh HD" while I was booted into the old "Macintosh HD". I tried it again yesterday and I could change the new volume name, both when I was booted onto the old "Macintosh HD" into my late friend's account with his permissions and booted onto the old "Macintosh HD" into a new account with my permissions. (I should explain--excuse me if this is over-sharing--that the Mac Pro was originally owned by a friend who died and left the machine to me; because of the importance of some of the work he left on it, I have installed a second drive--now named "Macintosh HD New"--so that I could leave his drive as untouched as possible.) However, because the old "Macintosh HD" has OS X 10.6.8 installed, System Preferences->Startup Disk running on the old "Macintosh HD" cannot see the new "Macintosh HD"--whatever it is named--because that drive has (currently) OS X 10.10.5 installed. I was probably "spooked" (for Lennart's benefit, that means "scared as if by a ghost") by that back in July. Therefore I waited until App Store would let me download OS X 10.10.4, and only at that time renamed the new "Macintosh HD" as "Macintosh HD New" with Disk Utility when I wiped it before installing OS X 10.10.4.

I see. Thanks for sharing your story.

Yes, I recall a former co-worker who needed to have both 10.6(.8) and 10.10(.x) on his Mac. Startup Disk in 10.6 would not see the 10.10 disk as a bootable volume. Apple is (way) too quick to ditch support for (slightly) old OS'es. Especially since 10.6 is the last version that allows you to run PowerPC applications.