Retrospect client 6.3.029 starts disabled in OSX 10.10

Hi,

I have an old installation of Retrospect multiserver 7.7 for Windows that performs backups of a number of Windows and Mac OSX clients.

With the OSX clients, no problems till version 10.9. When I upgraded the operating system to OSX 10.10 Yosemite the Retrospect client (ver. 6.3.029) starts disabled. Can you suggest a method to start the client enabled when the machine boots?

Thank you in advance!

Gabbiano.

• Like 6

Retrospect 7.7 does not support Mac OS 10.9 or later. it probably doesn't work well with 10.8 either. You could experience dataloss using that version for the backup of newer Macs.

The 6.3 client is totally unsupported on Mac OS 10.10. You must use the version 10.5 or later client, which will require Retrospect 9 or later for Windows.

Hi Mayoff,

thank you for your answer. I should have read the compatibility table before posting ... 

Apart from this, I regularly test a backup/restore process with sample data (and real restore needs), according to my experience the installation I described earlier has always been working like a charm, with the exception of the problem I posted earlier. Of course I trust your statement about the unsupported client and its possible consequences ...

So, definitively, this is an old installation and it would be the time to upgrade. This depends on the fact that it will be approved in the budget, and this was not planned for this year :-(

So, in case there is a workaround to start the client enabled we will appreciate it a lot :-) Waiting for next year and the new budget, with this upgrade considered in advance ...

Thank you again!

Gabbiano.

• 3 months later...

FWIW, I am running Retrospect 12 server on a Mac Pro under OS X 10.10, but one of the clients is ver. 6.3.029 under Mac OS X 10.3 (it's a G4 tower, and its Adaptec SCSI card--needed for the SCSI drive on which OS X is running--won't work on OS X 10.4 or later). The client starts up disabled on the G4 tower.

I currently back up the G4 only once a week (that may change), so I just have to remember to change the switch from Off to On on the client (which is on Login Items, so it automatically shows on screen).

• 2 years later...

I have a small network of Macs with some on 10.4, 10.6.8, and 10.13 being backed up by Retrospect server version 8.  I use Retrospect Client 6 on the newer machines, but have to manually start it after a reboot on the 10.13 machine.

Is there a version of Retrospect that will back them all up?  I'm afraid that if I upgrade to a newer Retrospect server, aside from the cost, I'll find it won't talk to the old machines running old Retrospect client.

I have for several years been doing what it says in this old post, but now using the Desktop Edition of Retrospect Mac 14.6.0 on the Mac Pro  "backup server"—which is running under macOS 10.12.6.   In fact since yesterday I have been doing the same thing using a test-build of Retrospect Mac 15.1.1, supplied to me by Tech Support so that I can help pinpoint the -530 Bugs.

One "client" is a MacBook Pro running the latest production Client (14.6.0 until yesterday, now 15.1.0).  The other "client" is still a Digital Audio G4 running the 6.3.029 Client under OS X 10.3.9; as stated in the linked-to post, I have to change that Client's switch from Off to On.  Once a week I also back up a an additional local drive on the Mac Pro that belonged to my late friend; I've left it as is with OSX 10.6—although I rarely boot from it, because my friend used a lot of PowerPC applications.

As the head of Retrospect Tech Support states here, you shouldn't be using Client 6.3.029 to backup "clients" booting under anything past OS X 10.4.  OTOH a year ago I did some older-version-of-application selective Restores on my Digital Audio G4, both to its OS X 10.3.9 boot drive and to one of the OS 9 drives also installed on that "client".

This post says "... machines running Mac OS 10.10; we have Client 6.3.029 running on them, and only certain folders are backed up, not the entire boot drive and operating system."

However I forgot to mention that, if you want to upgrade to a newer-version Retrospect Server that will backup "clients" running the 6.3.029 Client, you've got until early March of next year to do it.  After that this Knowledge Base announcement, , entitled "Support End-of-Life Announcement for Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5", will be in effect with Retrospect Mac 16.