Smart Incremental Backup Mystery

I am testing the Smart Incremental Backup feature in Retrospect 11.5 on a Mac server running OS X 10.7.5.

According to the Retrospect User Guide, checking the items "Match source files against the Media Set" and "Don't add duplicate files to the Media set" in the Scripts>Options>Matching window should insure that the Smart Incremental Backup (SIB?) feature is operating. SIB should then not add more than one instance of duplicate files to the Media Set, but should note the existence and location of all duplicates and at Recovery place copies of the duplicates in all locations where they were originally stored.  

I am finding that, after an incremental backups, duplicate files are never Recovered to their original locations. Duplicate folders are Recovered but not their duplicate contents. Duplicate files do not appear as available for recovery in Restore Assistant after an incremental backup, although duplicate folders do appear.

Is this a know/ongoing issue, or am I overlooking something specific?

Many thanks for reading this!

I am finding that, after an incremental backups, duplicate files are never Recovered to their original locations. Duplicate folders are Recovered but not their duplicate contents. Duplicate files do not appear as available for recovery in Restore Assistant after an incremental backup, although duplicate folders do appear.

I think you mean "restored" and not "recovered".

Which method did you use? Searching for files or restore (from) a snapshot?

When searching for files, you will only find the first occurrence of each file. You will have to copy it to the desired location manually after restore.

When restoring (from) a snapshot, the file(s) will be restored to all locations.

Lennart, you are correct; I meant Restore not Recover in all cases. Thank you.

I have used all 3 Restore methods, "Restore and entire source volume or favorite folder ...," "Restore selected files and folders," and "Search for files in selected media sets." In no case are the duplicate files restored, nor are they visible in the Browse preview. By all appearances, the Snapshot is not being updated. 

iCompute, many thanks. I have believed all along that the source of the problem is a blunder on my part, but I cannot locate it. I spoke several times with Support and went through settings and they were also baffled. Just had the hope that someone here had seen it before. (I've been using Retrospect since Dantz and the 90ies and have weathered many a storm and saved many a day. ;-)   

My work-around is to rely on "Match only files in same location/path" to control backup sizes.