Media set with improper free space

I have a disk media set that has stopped accepting additional backups because it thinks it's full. It isn't! Finder indicates that there are 1.5TB available (see attached screen shot), and another script that backs up to a different media set on the same disk properly indicates the 1.5TB free space (another screen shot). I even groomed the troublesome set (gained 100GB), but it still thinks there is no free space. Options are set to use 100% of the disk. Disk First Aid doesn't find anything wrong with it. This is a 6TB external drive that has worked just fine for a couple of years.

Any idea how to fix this?

RS Media sets.tiff

Disk B space.tiff

Thanks Lennart, but I didn't have a disk big enough to handle the media set. Various repairs and rebuilds of the catalog were giving lots of errors of "end of file" and the number of files was suddenly much lower than expected, so I just bit the bullet and recycled the media set and started over.

Something clearly got corrupted somewhere and couldn't easily be recovered from.

I still have the rotating offsite set should I need to go back in time.

I have the same problem:

1.1 TB of data has been devided on 6 tapes of LTO4 each of 1.5 TB capacity :(

Waste of tapes, time, and slots on autoloader.

No, you don't have the same problem at all. Monafly (Original poster) has a disk media set. You have a tape media set.

Your problem is advertising, where the tape vendors in large letters (and digits) proclaims 1.6 TB capacity. But the small asterisk reads "Assuming 2 to 1 compression". Your data can't be compressed 2 to 1, because many file types today are already compressed.

The native capacity of LTO-4 tapes is 800GB. Retrospect fills each tape until it is full. Your tapes contains 1100GB, so your data can be compressed about 1.37 to 1.

No, you don't have the same problem at all. Monafly (Original poster) has a disk media set. You have a tape media set.

Your problem is advertising, where the tape vendors in large letters (and digits) proclaims 1.6 TB capacity. But the small asterisk reads "Assuming 2 to 1 compression". Your data can't be compressed 2 to 1, because many file types today are already compressed.

The native capacity of LTO-4 tapes is 800GB. Retrospect fills each tape until it is full. Your tapes contains 1100GB, so your data can be compressed about 1.37 to 1.

Seems I was not clear, the media set uses 6 Tapes each of 800GB uncompressed to backup 1100 GB of data, means it uses less then 25% of the uncompressed capacity of the tape. Actually sometimes less. See the attached print screen and see the size of data on each tape, on of them has 6GB and ask for the next tape.

post-84387-0-84358900-1421931844_thumb.png

OK, I see.

That is a completely different matter.

Do you have any errors during the backup?

Do you have "Automatically skip to blank media" checked? Uncheck it.

post-8868-0-29105100-1421932134_thumb.png

Another reason for tapes not filled is slow hardware, especially the network.

See here, under "source speed":

http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/tape-capacity-faq

OK, I see.

That is a completely different matter.

Do you have any errors during the backup?

Do you have "Automatically skip to blank media" checked? Uncheck it.

attachicon.gifSkärmavbild 2015-01-22 kl. 14.03.09.png

Another reason for tapes not filled is slow hardware, especially the network.

See here, under "source speed":

http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/tape-capacity-faq

The  "Automatically skip to blank media" is already unchecked.

it seems like the other reason, check this log:

stucFinished: [HP|Ultrium 4-SCSI|B35Z] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0x1, scsiStatus 0x2

stucFinished: [0|5|0] transaction result 0x6

StucStartTrans: ExecuteTaskAsync (error -536870174)

StucStartTrans: errval 0xe00002e2, doneServResp 0x0 (error -536870174)

StucStartTrans: ExecuteTaskSync (error -536870174)

stucFinished: [HP|Ultrium 4-SCSI|B35Z] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0xe00002bc, scsiStatus 0x0

stucFinished: [HP|Ultrium 4-SCSI|B35Z] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0xe00002bc, scsiStatus 0x0

!Trouble writing: "6-Tous les Serveurs 011 [001]" (1853292544), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

!Trouble writing media:

"6-Tous les Serveurs 011 [001]"

error -102 ( trouble communicating)

post-84387-0-19417500-1421933844_thumb.png

Those types of errors would typically be caused by problems in your SCSI chain or the tape drive itself, which may be failing. 

Are you using a single stand-alone tape drive or a tape library? Are there any other devices on your SCSI chain? What brand and model of SCSI adapter are you using? 

Whenever Retrospect encounters serious problems writing to a tape member, it will ask for a new tape. Sometimes this means that the tape member is faulty, but the -102 error combined with the fact that you have used 6 tape members would pretty much rule that out.

You might try running a cleaning tape and see if that helps. Then try the diagnostic procedures described at http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/troubleshooting-error-102-trouble-communicating. In my own experience with tape drives, though, I think the problem is most likely the tape drive itself. These are mechanical devices, and the tape heads and other parts will eventually wear out.

• Like 1

In addition to what Twickland wrote, I would like to add two things.

1) Check if the SCSI card vendor has released some new drivers and/or new firmware.

2) The drive vendor usually provides a tape drive test utility program. Please see if such application is available and run it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Those types of errors would typically be caused by problems in your SCSI chain or the tape drive itself, which may be failing. 

Are you using a single stand-alone tape drive or a tape library? Are there any other devices on your SCSI chain? What brand and model of SCSI adapter are you using? 

Whenever Retrospect encounters serious problems writing to a tape member, it will ask for a new tape. Sometimes this means that the tape member is faulty, but the -102 error combined with the fact that you have used 6 tape members would pretty much rule that out.

You might try running a cleaning tape and see if that helps. Then try the diagnostic procedures described at http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/troubleshooting-error-102-trouble-communicating. In my own experience with tape drives, though, I think the problem is most likely the tape drive itself. These are mechanical devices, and the tape heads and other parts will eventually wear out.

It's a Quantum SuperLoader 3 zith HP LTO4 single tape drive.

No other devices connected to the SCSI chain.

Using an ATTO ExpressPCI UL5D SCSI adapter

Mac OS 10.8.3

I upgraded the OS from 10.7 to 10.8.3, the ATTO Driver as well, I've moved the card to another slot and still the same error:

stucFinished: [HP|Ultrium 4-SCSI|B35Z] incorrect scsiServiceResponse 0x1, scsiStatus 0x2

!Trouble writing: "1-Server [011]" (252116992), error -102 ( trouble communicating)

!Trouble writing media:

"1-Server [011]"

error -102 ( trouble communicating)

I can't find another card to test of course, cleaning doesn't help as well.

In addition to what Twickland wrote, I would like to add two things.

1) Check if the SCSI card vendor has released some new drivers and/or new firmware.

2) The drive vendor usually provides a tape drive test utility program. Please see if such application is available and run it.

1) I upgraded the OS and Driver

2) t he vendor test utility runs on Windows and linux only, no version for MAC

I wonder how it can backup up to 200 or 300 GB and suddenly it gives out this error. 

1) I upgraded the OS and Driver

I wonder how it can backup up to 200 or 300 GB and suddenly it gives out this error. 

1) How about the firmware, then?

2) Do you have access to a Windows computer a few hours to test the drive?

It can backup 200 GB until certain condition occurs, such as a timing issue or a bit pattern and then it fails. Or the card gets over heated.

the vendor test utility runs on Windows and linux only, no version for MAC

Your log indicates you're using an HP tape drive. HP does offer a Mac version of their Library and Tape Tools that runs in the Terminal command line environment. The current link for the download page is http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=406731. If that link is broken, try searching for "hp_ltt mac" on HP's support page.

• Like 1

1) How about the firmware, then?

2) Do you have access to a Windows computer a few hours to test the drive?

It can backup 200 GB until certain condition occurs, such as a timing issue or a bit pattern and then it fails. Or the card gets over heated.

1) Well, updating firmware give us longer life before getting the same error, 700GB of backup. Not so bad, can accept the loss % of the empty tape. But when I made a restore test I got around 660 file lost (3.5 GB of data), this kills.

2) No windows. I forgot to say that this autoloader work fine with my old retrospect server version 6.1 on Mac OS 10.3, so we have the problem with this version of retrospect 10.5 or hardware in particular.

Your log indicates you're using an HP tape drive. HP does offer a Mac version of their Library and Tape Tools that runs in the Terminal command line environment. The current link for the download page is http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=406731. If that link is broken, try searching for "hp_ltt mac" on HP's support page.

This software doesn't detect it, probably because it's not directly connected, it's installed inside a Quantum SuperLoader 3. See the attached print screen. 

post-84387-0-89525300-1424104706_thumb.png

I bet it's a difference in the hardware that causes your problem. Probably the SCSI card or the SCSI cables, if your loader indeed works with an old server.

I use the same cable, may b the card, unfortunately it's discontinued, no new SCSI card are sold for Apple nowadays.

Is that a way to change our retrospect server version to work on Linux instead of Mac? or any kind of converters that convert the Autoloader into SAS?

Daydreaming :)

You may be able to use a Linux live CD/DVD that supports booting on Mac hardware to run the test utility as long as a driver for the SCSI card is included on the CD/DVD.

Boot the system from the CD/DVD then download, install and run the test utility in the Linux environment. No experience with Mac hardware but I have got this to work on Windows hardware.