restore fails if backup is done at same time

Don Lee

I am setting up a test machine as an upgraded version of another, production machine.

I wanted to restore a part of its filesystem with the current, production data on the production machine.

I started a restore from the production media set (v9_icompute) to the "favorite" before midnight. While that restore was running, a normal, incremental backup ran to the same media set. The restore and the backup were running at the same time.

The restore failed with this message:

+ Executing Restore Assistant - 12/18/14 11:04 PM at 12/18/14 (Activity Thread 1)

12/18/14 11:09:29 PM: Connected to Hope-temp

To volume EIMS3 on Hope-temp...

- 12/18/14 11:09:29 PM: Restoring from v9_daily_eims, Snapshot Hope, 12/18/14 12:02:39 AM

State information not restored, can't access Snapshot

12/19/14 4:37:18 AM: 1 execution errors

Completed: 2303 files, 8.4 GB

Performance: 26.1 MB/minute

Duration: 05:27:49 (00:00:16 idle/loading/preparing)

It looks like the backup created a new snapshot, and "hid" the one that was being used by the restore, and at the end of the restore, it went to set permissions, and it was… gone!

This seems to me a bug. Retro should not allow the restore and backup to run concurrently if it does not work (reliably).

Retro 10.5 engine on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Client Mac OS X 10.8.5, retro client 10.5.0.145

• Like 1