Copy media set does not copy old backups?

Don Lee

I have been manually copying my media sets that appear to have suffered from the problem described here: http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/150511-nasty-bug-scheduled-copy-media-set-only-copies-fraction-of-data/

When I copied the media sets, I found that although the reported number of files and the size of the resultant media set looks correct, when I look at the target copy and "retrieve" the older backups, there is *nothing* there.

This may be a more serious bug than that described in the previous report.

I am running 11.5.0.139 (console and engine) I plan to try doing the copy via "copy backups" (and copy all backups) and maybe upgrade to 11.5.2, but there is nothing in the release notes that indicates that this has been fixed.

This is new, bad, behavior not present in 10.5.

I'll report back.

I tried using "copy backups" and selected "all backups" to do the equivalent operation, and it results in the same thing, except that it *appears* that the output media set is smaller. The original media set copy op seems to have copied the files, but not the 'snapshots'. The "copy backups" appears to have only copied the files in the backups that got copied, and that is only the "latest", and 0 or 1 previous.

Of the two media sets I tried, one resulted in zero backups to "retrieve". The other resulted in one.

I'm going to try rebuilding one of these sets to see if the backups "reappear".

I'll report back.

Busted.

After the rebuild of a media set with 703,709 files, and 24 backups (according to the "summary" panel on the media set), I can only see five backups in the "backups" panel, and when I click "retrieve", there is nothing there.

I'm going to 11.5.2.107 now to see if it's better.

Version 11.5.2.107 is just as bad with the resultant media sets, and the log files imply that only a fraction of the data was copied and/or verified. This is worse than 10.5. As an example, I did a media set copy of v9_icompute to v9_icompute_last. v9_icompute had 722424 files, and 90+ GB of data. The resulting copy contained 719786 files and 79 GB of data according to the Media Set display "summary" panel. However, the log from the copy contained this - only 5.3 GB copied?!?!?:

----

+ Executing acopy at 11/8/14 8:58:46 PM (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set v9_iCompute_last...

- 11/8/14 8:58:46 PM: Transferring from v9_iCompute

LmGet: ndex = 0 < 1

11/8/14 9:10:48 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 16,077 files, 5.3 GB

Performance: 507.8 MB/minute

Duration: 00:12:02 (00:01:19 idle/loading/preparing)

- 11/8/14 9:10:48 PM: Verifying v9_iCompute_last

11/8/14 9:12:15 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 16,077 files, 5.3 GB

Performance: 4,180.3 MB/minute

Duration: 00:01:26 (00:00:08 idle/loading/preparing)

11/8/14 9:12:18 PM: Script "acopy" completed successfully

----

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It has been a while….

As I recall, this was a hard error, and easy to reproduce. Sorry i did not follow up and report my results with that "minor update".

The fact that I did not report back with "still busted" testifies to a successful fix. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what version fixed it. You should be able to determine that from the datestamps on the updates.

It is also fixed in v12. I copy media sets commonly, and I only lose files when I use "recycle target at start". I have an outstanding bug on that one, but that's a little harder to reproduce.

Thanks for the response.  

It appears I have a corrupted media set that is causing issues.  The corruption is not noticed during catalog rebuild or copy media set operations.  The auto verification after copy does not detect the issue either.  The only real clues are the the log which shows the data copied or processed during rebuild is much less than the size of the source media set.  Running a verify media set on either the source or copy will show the Media Set format inconsistency error.

In the process of troubleshooting, I also encountered the copy backup bug (http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/151506-retrospect-1152-wont-properly-accept-source-options-in-copy-backup-scripts/), so this bug was not fixed in v11.5.3.103.  Reading the release notes for v12.x, it is not clear if copy backup has been fixed in v12.