client not visible by Retrospect

pbartoli

I'm running Retrospect 8.2 on variuos OSX flavors from 10.5 to 10.10.

I cannot see / log in a client into Retrospect. I run the console from this very Mac but Retrospect doesn't see that Mac on ethernet. Curious, isn't it?

What can I look for to solve this problem, the ethernet network?

Thanks

• Like 1

I have found that the machine running the Engine and Console will not show up as a Client because the Client software is not needed.  If you go to the Sources tab and set both filters to "All", it will show you the hard drives for the computer running the Engine and Console.  You will also see the local hard drives if you set the right filter to "Local".  If you have the right filter set to "Clients" or "Shares", the local hard drives will not be listed.

I cannot see / log in a client into Retrospect. I run the console from this very Mac but Retrospect doesn't see that Mac on ethernet. 

There can be a lot of reasons why a client is not visible to Retrospect.

Have you confirmed that the Retrospect client software is running on the client Mac?

How are you trying to connect to the client? Multicast, subnet broadcast, or direct address? Can you connect to other clients that are in the same subnet?

More details about your network setup and about the client Mac (OS version, Retrospect client version, etc.) would be helpful.

I have found that the machine running the Engine and Console will not show up as a Client because the Client software is not needed.  If you go to the Sources tab and set both filters to "All", it will show you the hard drives for the computer running the Engine and Console.  You will also see the local hard drives if you set the right filter to "Local".  If you have the right filter set to "Clients" or "Shares", the local hard drives will not be listed.

Thanks Daniels, I'm aware of this, but I'm talking about a networked Mac.

There can be a lot of reasons why a client is not visible to Retrospect.

Have you confirmed that the Retrospect client software is running on the client Mac?

How are you trying to connect to the client? Multicast, subnet broadcast, or direct address? Can you connect to other clients that are in the same subnet?

More details about your network setup and about the client Mac (OS version, Retrospect client version, etc.) would be helpful.

twickland, thanks for the answer.

To give you more details:

- Retrospect Client is running on the client Mac

- I'm trying to connect with direct address, since other methods don't show up this specific Mac (I see other computers on the net but not this one). BTW Retrospect's IP address test isn't positive.

- I successfully backup other Macs on the same Ethernet network. I must admit I'm not sure what you mean by subnet, since I haven't setup any in my ethernet network

- client Mac is Retrospect Client 6.3.029, Retro Engine 8.2, Mac OSX 10.7.5 MacBook Pro 2,53 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I'm going to re-install Retrospect Client and see if it works.

- client Mac is Retrospect Client 6.3.029, Retro Engine 8.2, Mac OSX 10.7.5 MacBook Pro 2,53 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I'm going to re-install Retrospect Client and see if it works.

Client version 6.3.029 is very old and may not play nice with OS 10.7.5 and later. However, as I recall, there isn't a later version of the client software that will work with Retrospect 8.2. You may find it's time to upgrade.

Regarding subnets, IP addresses are of the form xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa, where xxx.yyy.zzz defines the subnet. If the problem client is in a different subnet than the clients that are being successfully backed up, that may indicate an issue with your network.

Actually Client 6.3.029 does work with Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 as I have tested it on all those platforms.  I have the same problem with one of my Windows computers where it does not show up in the Multicast window but connects using direct address.  As long as the machine is getting backed up I would not worry about it not showing up in the list.  Also any newer version of the Client will require you to upgrade both the engine and console.

Actually Client 6.3.029 does work with Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 as I have tested it on all those platforms.  I have the same problem with one of my Windows computers where it does not show up in the Multicast window but connects using direct address.  As long as the machine is getting backed up I would not worry about it not showing up in the list.  Also any newer version of the Client will require you to upgrade both the engine and console.

I'm using this release with OS X 10.10 and it works.

Or looks like it works, since I have annoying random errors. Time by time, some of the clients on the ethernet network are not "reachable" (I get error -519).

I don't understand why I get error -519, since I can see these Macs in the Finder, they're actually up and running, Retro Client is installed.

Might the traffic on the ethernet compromise Retrospect ability to perform backup?

Usually I run the backup at 6 PM when most of the computers are idle (not my MacBookPro, that is one giving errors...).

If you are getting -519 errors, you might want to check the sleep/power saving settings as I have found that these errors can occur if have set the computer to put the hard drive to sleep.  The best course of action I can suggest is to either wake up the machine before the backup starts or set the sleep/power saving settings so that the computer never puts the hard drive to sleep.  I would also recommend not putting the machine to sleep at all.  Also remember there is a bug that requires a user to be logged into the computer for the backup to run.

The best course of action I can suggest is to either wake up the machine before the backup starts or set the sleep/power saving settings so that the computer never puts the hard drive to sleep.  I would also recommend not putting the machine to sleep at all.  Also remember there is a bug that requires a user to be logged into the computer for the backup to run.

Daniels,

I thought about the MacBook going to sleep, but as a matter of fact, backup runs while I'm still using it, therefore it is awake.

What you mean by "bug that requires a user to be logged into the computer for the backup to run" , you mean I should be logged into the client (MacBook) ? I'm indeed, since I'm the MacBook user and keep on working on it all day long.

I have had issues where if another program is using the network card such as a web browser, it can prevent Retrospect from connecting to the client.  I would try backing it up when it is not use with all programs closed and see if you still get -519 errors.  I have experienced this issue especially with Adobe and OS automatic updates, as they are using the network card to download thus preventing Retrospect from connecting to the client.

how do you suggest to set up the search and polling parameters?

You might increase the Search Timeout and the Forget Counter and perhaps shorten the Live Poll Interval a bit, to see if any of these changes makes a difference.

If you are using multicast to locate your clients, you might also try increasing the Multicast Time to Live to 2 or 3.

• 1 month later...

Interestingly I tried to add the not-working-client to Retrospect Engine with direct IP address, and I get back the same "-519" error.

Note that I'm working on this very MacBook thru ethernet (the engine is installed on another Mac over the ethernet network).

This puzzles me a lot: Retrospect Engine doesn't see the client that I'm using to instruct the Engine itself... I see the Engine but the at the very same time the Engine doesn't see my portable Mac !

I tried to disable completely:

- energy saving (the Mac won't go idle or shutdown the hd)

- Adobe auto updates

- Mac OS auto updates

Right now the only app running are Apple Safari and Apple Mail.

What else should I look for? help me... I'm running out of ideas how to solve the problem.

It sounds like the network card on the laptop is not allowing multi-directional network traffic which is causing the -519 error.  I would try using another computer to manage the engine and then see if your current computer shows up as a client.  Before doing this I would disable all communications between the engine and your current laptop except for the client software.

• Like 1

Daniels, could it be a network card issue.

What I still don't understand is why I have no other network issues with this Mac but with Retrospect: for example other backup apps (like running rsync try Terminal or Chronosync) do work without any kind of problems.

It is possible that there is a problem with the network card, however unlikely.  I have also experienced the same problem where other programs work fine but Retrospect requires full access to the network card.  The client I have this happen most of the time is a iMac running 10.9.5.  I would still try my last suggestion and see if the engine sees the client.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had clients turn themselves off without touching them.  I have even had this happen during backups.  Since it happens so infrequently, I have not found a reason why it happens.  I have also have had clients turned on and not be detected by the engine until they are turned off and then turned back on.