Recycle backups, but not all?

Hello,

Is it possible to recycle a backup in time just to maintain some time. Let me explain:

I have about 3 months backups, and it's growing... So I want to maintain last month (and naturally files that haven't changed since first backup). Is it possible?

TY

If you have "Disk" media sets, then it's easy. Take a look at "grooming" in the manual.

I assume you have thought about archiving (some) older backups in case you need them in a year or two.

If you have other types of media sets (such as tape), it is a bit more work:

1) Create a new media set.

2) Copy the wanted (latest) snapshots from the old media set to the new.

3) Change scripts to use the new media set.

4) Recycle or forget the old media set. (The media can be erased and reused in any media set).

If you have "Disk" media sets, then it's easy. Take a look at "grooming" in the manual.

Nop not using :-(

I assume you have thought about archiving (some) older backups in case you need them in a year or two.

If you have other types of media sets (such as tape), it is a bit more work:

1) Create a new media set.

2) Copy the wanted (latest) snapshots from the old media set to the new.

3) Change scripts to use the new media set.

4) Recycle or forget the old media set. (The media can be erased and reused in any media set).

Perfect trick!

TY

It copies the full snapshot, so you can restore the (original) source computer to the state it had at the time of the last backup.

(It does not copy files that existed (only) at the time of previous backup, but that was deleted prior to the last backup.)

• 2 weeks later...

But like this i'm copying the original files, not the backup. Can I copy (through the Retrospect) the files (RDB)?

I have several scripts to the same Media Set. I want to erase from this media set some files from these scripts. Is this possible?

You copy from a media set to another. The script(s) used to create the media sets is not relevant.

I don't have Retrospect 9 here, so I have to take it from memory.

You should create a new script of type "copy". As the source you select (one of) the existing media sets and as the destination the new (combined) media set.

On "Options" you select last backup of each source.