First time setup. Mixed Windows and Mac

I'm about to build a backup system for my company and is thinking about using Retrospect for this. I have som questions on which licenses i should buy.

I have a Windows Server that I want all the backupdata to be stored on, and I have ~5 Mac OS X Servers that I want to back up.

Is this the correct licenses that I need ?

1x Retrospect Single Server app unlimited desktop/laptop clients, WIN 8

5x Retrospect Desktop app 5 desktop/laptop clients, MAC 10

• Like 25

Should the windows server also be the Retrospect Server (where Retrospect will be running)?

Then you should buy Retrospect for Windows, "Multi Server". It will be able to back up any number of servers. It's all included in the license.

("Single server" will only back up itself, not any other server OS. "Desktop" will not back up any server OS at all.)

Running a Retrospect server on each of the server Macs sounds expensive and difficult to maintain. You will also not benefit from file de-duplication.

• Like 4

Lennart is right again.

Retrospect's file-level de-duplication is included with no extra license, software or hardware cost. The feature is available when backing up single or multiple sources to the same backup set.

Buying "Retrospect Multi Server app unlimited clients, WIN 8" is cheaper than buying "Retrospect Single Server app unlimited desktop/laptop clients, WIN 8" + 5 x "Retrospect Server Client 1-Pack, MAC 10".

• Like 2

So, just to be clear, even though I buy a Windows Multi Server-licens, I can use it to back up a Mac OS X server ?

Yes, you can.

"Works flawlessly in a mixed Windows/Mac environment without adding cost."

http://download.retrospect.com/partners/sales_tools/data_sheets/retrospect_8/retrospect_8_win_datash_enna.pdf