Cant start Retrospect - always get Monitor

itc_sburnett

Clicking on Retrospect.exe, either from the Start menu or from within Explorer is now always bringing up the Retrospect Monitor (which I have no idea what it does or why I want it). I see a little orange icon that looks like it might represent a power button, so I click that, and another instance of the monitor starts. Seems to me when i first installed this a couple days ago, clicking that started the application.

Ive been running Retrospect for 3 days, trying to find the best process for backup, only now I cant start the actual app

Retrospect Express 7.6 for windows

Windows 7 Home Premium

Found this other thread that kind of explains the problem, but im still not sure of a solution.

http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/23072-starting-retrospect-brings-up-useless-window/

As it turns out, I have been having troubles with very long running backup operations failing with an error writing to the NAS object. I believe this is due o power settings which are set to put the PC to sleep after an hour. This morning again, the error and Retrospect told me there were two scheduled jobs waiting.

Following the recommendation fromthe above post, I rebooted and still had the same trouble; Monitor always started. I then noticed activity on the drive and looked in Task Manager for processes against all users. Sure enough, Retrospect.exe was runing the backup job; presumably as system.

So I guess I have to wait until its done before i can open the UI? Seems like a bug to me!