disable scanning in retro_isa.ini - Retrospect 10

Folks...I have followed all os x advice at http://kb.retrospect.com/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/RetroISA-Advanced-Opt ions/?l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1 and scanning continues.

The issue appears to be the fact that after adjusting <StartRetroISA=1> to <StartRetroISA=0>, saving file and quitting the process there is a reversion to <StartRetroISA=1>

Any advice how to get <StartRetroISA=0> to stick would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jordan

Hi Lennart...went back throught the whole thing again and confirmed a save before closing/locking and then restarted the engine...we look now to be good re the save:

StartRetroISA=0

Am still seeing high CPU usage which then kicks up temps:

301 RetroISA root 83.7 18 460.9 MB Intel (64 bit)

This seems peculiar to vers. 10...did not see it in previous Retro versions.

Jordan

The freakin .ini file has reverted!: StartRetroISA=1 ...and scanning has resumed...jeez, what a drag:

71 RetroISA root 100.4 18 455.8 MB Intel (64 bit)

The .ini file was "modified" at 0417 DST here on the east coast when i started the Mac this AM - this I did not do.. Apparently, Retrospect has a mind of its own in this regard. Not too cool!

Jordan

I have stopped the scanning:

Stop the RetroISA process: sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroisa.plist

CPU%/temps plummeted!

I have a ticket open with retrospect and if there is not a better way to disable scanning while allowing me to scan as I see fit, I will have to revert to vers. 9 (upgrade cost wasted)

Jordan

• 2 weeks later...

Should I even bother with Retro 10 until RetroIAS is sorted? I had a look at the notes that come up in the upgrade screen, the page it links off to and the Retro 10 release notes, and RetroISA is the only new feature that I would find useful.

Is there any way I can find out what the "hundreds of little improvements ... [a]lmost 300 in all" are? Only 36 are listed in the Retro 10 release notes. There seems to have been a similar policy in Retro 9 release notes. Am I the only one who finds this annoying?

None of the 36 listed improvements are ones that I care much about. What I would like is to see proper optical drive, including BluRay, support but posts on the forum leave me with little hope that that might happen.

10.0.1 -- is just a new console/engine update. It does not affect the behavior of the "retroisa" process on client machines.

What we see here is that on machines with 4G RAM -- the performance hit is noticeable (even running just the engine on a 4G RAM machine). It's less noticeable on machines with 8G RAM.

• 4 weeks later...