Clients V9, CAN'T Back up Now, ONLY work as Schedule Proactive

Problem with V9.0139 with 5 clients licence I tried a few thing like

- de-Install each client restarted and re- installed

- trashed the Config80.dat file from backup machine

The issue are:

1) Impossible to do any " On- demand Backup from Client"

- Preference setting does not HOLD, in Retrospect server>Pref>Clients, I tick the Back up on Demand to and select a media, the setting is not recorded as at the next launch the setting is back to default Non Selected

2) More annoying, Automatic Backup Scheduled clients DOES NOT work

- When clients or Favorite folders from clients are part of a Schedule Backup Script, the Clients part of the script failed to be executed.

I get an Error Message -530 Client not Found for all my clients

- When I run the same script manually with the console Open, it works

- When I set the script as Proactive (automatic Schedule) it works ONLY when I open the retrospect console.

As long as the console is not open the Backup do not happen and the clients can't be seen !

Any solution is welcome

What if you tick the backup on demand checkbox and then stop the engine with the system preference (which forces an update to config80.dat) -- then restart the engine? Is the box checked after that? (I've not seen this problem..)

I've also never sen a proactive script *not* work when the console is not running. Sometimes -- if you have a large number of proactive scripts -- it can take up to 10 minutes (I've seen this as I run 8 concurrent proactive scripts) for any of the backups to fire off -- even when all the clients are on-line. I've *not* seen this with just one proactive script, though. With my 8 concurrent scripts, it usually takes about 10 minutes after engine boot up to fire off the backups. Are you sure the engine hasn't crashed for some reason?

Retrospect & Clients V9.0.0 (319) Lion 10.7.2 iMaci7 3.4Ghz 16GB, 2T,256Gb SSD

Ticked bkup On Demand > Stop Engine > Restart Engine = Check box Un Checked, The Setting DOES NOT Stick !

Only 2 Proactive Script, when Console is open it starts within 15 to 30 Seconds No problem.

Issue is only with Clients Not Found when Console is Not Open, therefore Not Working in Automatic (Schedule Mode).

Local, Share and other part of any automatic script are working fine only the client part is not.

A Script which fails to find client in Automatic, works fine when run with the console Open.

Sorry, yes same problem after trashing config80, I had to recreate all the script but same outcome, Scripts are OK when run with the console open and Fail in schedule mode, ONLY the CLIENTS part of the script fails in scheduke mode all the other are OK.

Sorry, yes same problem after trashing config80, I had to recreate all the script but same outcome, Scripts are OK when run with the console open and Fail in schedule mode, ONLY the CLIENTS part of the script fails in scheduke mode all the other are OK.

You say "clients part of the script".

Can you describe this proactive script more in detail?

What sources is it backing up? Does it have a time limit?

Are you able to just create a new proactive script and put *one* client source in it -- that you know is on-line -- (leaving everything else default) and that still fails to back up anything if the console is open?

Can you post a screen shot of the "summary" tab of the script?

EMC Retrospect Single Server 5 Clients MAC 9.0

usually (V6, V7, V8), I run 3 Backup script, 2 are 11pm Daily Schedule Mon_Wed_Fri and Tue_Thu_Sat, the third Sunday which is a Manual backup. Each script has the same sources:

Local iMac (User folder) Running Retrospect Engine + Console, 1 Share (ReadyNas used as a network file server), and 3 networked imacs (user Folder) which are the clients (the one with the issue)

The media is a 2 disks enclosure for the M_W_F + T_T_S, and for the sunday it is a different single disk enclosure, all connected FW800.

All above script run as manual WITH the console open are working perfectly.

it is only when the 2 schedules scripts run in automatic (Console closed) that I get error -530 Clients not found, only the clients part of these script is not excecuted the others: the share and the local imac are OK.

So to work around and avoid a daily error report, I created a Tag for the 3 clients (User folder of each client) and did 2 Proactive script M_W_F + T_T_S with no time limit just the default

These script are ONLY working when I open the console, they never run as automatic in background.

Of course I tried putting 1 client only and verified it was online , but it still fails !..

I am wondering if the fact that the server shows an IP address 127.0.0.1 and the mac as a fix address 192.168.123.10 has anything to do with it ? see photo No 5

See attached screen shot as requested

Same problem here: Retrospect Server 9.0x (latest version) running on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2, the Client settings don't stick. I can check all the "allow clients to..." checkboxes in the Server preferences, but they don't do anything client-side and, if I quit and relaunch the console app, the boxes are unchecked... Meaning I can't allow my clients to abort a backup, trigger a restore or simply deactivate Retrospect Client!

That plus the fact that, sometimes, even if the Server is not doing anything (no Activity currently running), the RetroEngine eats up 80%+ of the machine it's running on, and I can't turn the Server off from the OSX preference pane, I have to kill it using a terminal command while sudo rooting.

Way to go Retrospect. Although it IS nice finally having a real 64bits, Lion ready version.

Also, I'd really like to know two things:

1) why are the retrospect server preferences still stored in the old cryptic format and not using the standard XML .plist format?

2) why in Hell are OPERATION LOGS stored in the Config80.dat file, mine grew up to 20MB!

and 3) now that Retrospect is version 9.x, maybe that file should be called Config90.dat?

EMC Retrospect Single Server 5 Clients MAC 9.0

usually (V6, V7, V8), I run 3 Backup script, 2 are 11pm Daily Schedule Mon_Wed_Fri and Tue_Thu_Sat, the third Sunday which is a Manual backup. Each script has the same sources:

Local iMac (User folder) Running Retrospect Engine + Console, 1 Share (ReadyNas used as a network file server), and 3 networked imacs (user Folder) which are the clients (the one with the issue)

The media is a 2 disks enclosure for the M_W_F + T_T_S, and for the sunday it is a different single disk enclosure, all connected FW800.

All above script run as manual WITH the console open are working perfectly.

it is only when the 2 schedules scripts run in automatic (Console closed) that I get error -530 Clients not found, only the clients part of these script is not excecuted the others: the share and the local imac are OK.

So to work around and avoid a daily error report, I created a Tag for the 3 clients (User folder of each client) and did 2 Proactive script M_W_F + T_T_S with no time limit just the default

These script are ONLY working when I open the console, they never run as automatic in background.

Of course I tried putting 1 client only and verified it was online , but it still fails !..

I am wondering if the fact that the server shows an IP address 127.0.0.1 and the mac as a fix address 192.168.123.10 has anything to do with it ? see photo No 5

See attached screen shot as requested

Can you download a trial version of the multi-server code and see if that makes any difference? (I only have the multi-server code to test against...)

In "console closed" mode -- can you describe a bit more? Meaning if your scripts are set to run at 11 pm -- what is the engine machine doing at 11 pm? Is it on? Might it be asleep? Is it at the login screen?

- "download a trial version of the multi-server code"

Please supply the Link.

My understanding is that the Serial Number is the key that activate the type of version, the download is the same unless I am wrong.

Please Supply a trial key to test : <mascot@yahoo.com.au>

- "In "console closed" mode -- can you describe a bit more?"

at 11pm the machine running the engine is ON , it is set to NEVER sleep, it has NO login screen it is ON, at all time.

Something that is not activated in this version as even in the console when you select a Client and click the OPTION tab, none of the setting for client can be accessed. They are all grey.

The client can only be accessed when the console is OPEN, this is also, why the proactive only start when the console is OPEN.

I'have been using Retrospect for over 15 years and I also used V8, without this issue with the same config. I am might not an expert but not a complete newbie either. Others using the same config are experiencing Clients setting and access issues too.

http://www.retrospect.com/products/mac/try

The first link will get you a 30-day (I think) code for a multi-server/unlimited clients version sent to you in e-mail. I can't send you my code as the trial code I had has long since expired (and I'm not sure you can reuse them.)

One other question (not that I think it matters): Are you running the console from an account that is an "administrator" account or a "standard" account?

I installed 10 days Trial Multi Server, downloaded installer (exactly same values as the one I had) V 9.000.319.

When I tried to add the trial licence code, I got a Message in RED "This Licence does not provide additional features"

So I STOPPED the Engine, removed all items inside the Application Support>Retrospect folder (except the Catalogue folder), then Removed the Retropect Preference file: ~ Lib>Pref folder

I restarted the Engine, open the console, entered the trial Rego and checked the preference window and was able to enter trial serial.

The licence Window shows:

Multi Server Limited Time Licence - N/A

Unlimited Clients (Bundled) - Unlimited

Open File Backup Add-On (Bundled) - N/A

Advanced tape Support (Bundled) - N/A

User initiated Restore up Add-On (Bundled) - N/A

All Devices - N/A

Some Progress, as Now In The clients Preference, the ALLOW Clients to: is NOW selectable

The option to control Backup from client are NOW Sticking and available

I located the Catalogues, reselected all the sources, created a Tag for the clients’s USER Folder (marked as favorite Folder), redone all the scripts and tested on Schedule

- It DID NOT worked, “Can’t access volume xxxx, error - 530 (backup client not found)

So I did a schedule Backup script ONLY with the clients (tags) and it failed again

So I removed the tag and in source I selected directly the User Folder (marked as favorite Folder) for all the clients.

DId not work either. so I selected the full startup disk of each client as source. Still did not work.

Retrospect Support have so fare said there is bug in the Desktop version regarding enabling backup on demand, it will be fixed in the soon to be release next version.

BUT no one as come up with a work around regarding with the issue with the clients, which HAS TO BE with the CLIENT SOFTWARE, as using a different version did not fix it.

- Are you using OS 10.7.2 yourself ?

First I had added them entering their IP address, then I also add them clicking the add button and validating with the password

Both method worked with the same result, I never used their hostname as using their ip would have the same effect.

Even with a clean config80.dat and the multi-server code.

The proactive scripts (with only clients as source) NEVER RUNS with console closed.

When I open the console I can see in the past activity window that the clients were not backed up.

After a few minute of the console been open, the clients are seen and the proactive starts.

My only option before giving up is to remove the clients from the console, switch off the engine de-install retrospect and remove ALL associated file from the Desktop machine.

Then do the same for all clients with a restart after each operation.

Then Re- Install a fresh version of the Multi Server version, with fresh clients and new media and start only with a new client script with all new. If it works, I will then just try to add the previous catalogue and media and see it continues to work, until I can make sense of this mess.

After spending +5 hrs to remove all components from Desktop Machine + 3 Clients.

Using uninstaller + manuallay removing all (invisible) file linked to retrospect, on all machine.

Renaming each client, using a new media, clearing all caches , repair Perm and more.Many restart between each operation

I then installed a Fresh version of Retrospect on desktop computer and only 1 client to test.

I used my Desktop + 5 Client licence to register.

Then I added the client using the console ADD button as the client was visible in the list, entered the password and validated.

I created Backup script with only 1 user folder of the only client I have installed , I manually launched the script with the console open and the backup was succesfull.

- I set a schedule time to test the Auto script, a few minutes after the first succes full manual back up, I closed the console , I restarted the desktop machine.

Make sure the machine had completely rebooted before the schedule time, I waited an extra 15 minutes and checked the result opening the Console.

Again and as before Backup did not work, same error -530

SO DEFINITELY something wrong with this software, having started from scratch, CONSOLE has to be OPEN for CLIENT to be backup, as when console is closed script report it can't see the clients.

See attached Screen Shot

I can not reproduce this on my end. It just works.

Do you have a "clean install" 10.7.2 machine anywhere that you could install the engine on?

Because Retrospect doesn't do license checking, what if you install the engine on *two* machines and add the same client to both machines?

If you back up that client (console open) on one, what happens if you try to backup the same client on the second engine machine right after (console open)?

OK, clean install" 10.7.2” on external Drive + boot from it on Machine 192.168.123.102, + install new engine only.

Main Desktop machine (DCHP with manual IPMachine 192.128.123.10) I open the console and added the new Engine which became default.

Added same and only Client 192.168.123.100, new script (user Folder as favorite folder only on startup disk of the client, New Catalogue, New Media.

I Run the script with console OPEN, all went well as usual.

Restarted the client and the main machine with enough time 5 minute to allow proper booting before the Same script schedule.

Waited 10 minutes and open console on ip123.10 to check outcome which is again a FAILURE.

So Fresh System + Fresh Engine + different machine run from the same console, same network does not fix this issue.

I installed new console on ip 123.02 and ignored main desktop machine, I run Client schedule script and again with console closed IT fails.

So New Clean System + New Engine + New Console + different machine, same network does not fix the issue.

Crazy !... Why Application (console) has to be open for the client to be seen by the engine ?

I can with ease.

Using a 20 license sever edition with all the clients working fine from the backup script.

Non of them remind me that they have not been backed up for days; nor start a backup when requested on the client 'backup now'

The error is that the server does not support this, even though the backup storage set is selected and the proactive backup is ticked.

Clients are connected via certs.

What other information is needed to solve this critical fault?

Thanks

Paul.

Screen Shot Attached of latest Result (Fails are Schedule with console closed)

As I don't see this problem with a multi-server license code, I'm at a loss to suggest what is different (and the "trial" page does not give you an option to download any other variation of a "server" code, so I can't try this on my system...)

waves -- are you also adding clients with public keys? Also, in your last test with the clean install 10.7.2 -- were you still using the demo multi-server license code or your existing license code? If your existing code, is there no difference with the demo multi-server code you got?

It's entirely possible that this is related to what features are activated with the non-multi-server codes, but that seems like a huge bug if that's the case.

One other thing to try, though -- to see if it's a *client* issue vs strictly a console issue: What if you set up a test proactive script to back up a Favorite Folder *on the engine machine*? Does that Proactive script work if the console is closed? (And only use the console *on the engine machine* -- remove using the console on another Mac for this test...)

- are you also adding clients with public keys?

A: NO, I add them straight from the source window, as they are all visible, I select the client, click add, enter the password created when I installed the clients and they appears as a valid source, but get backed up (Only with the console Open).

- in your last test with the clean install 10.7.2 -- were you still using the demo multi-server license code or your existing license code?

A: I tried both with the same negative result, the trial demo does not show as multi server, it showed as Unlimited clients in the preference window.

- It's entirely possible that this is related to what features are activated with the non-multi-server codes, but that seems like a huge bug if that's the case.

A: THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN THINKING for the past 7 days

(Please check my email to R---.m---@r---.c--- for my suggestion, until we can try this, we are wasting our time)

- One other thing to try, though -- to see if it's a *client* issue vs strictly a console issue:

A: The issue is related to the console and clients, the engine machine is a LOCAL, not a client therefore, a schedule or proactive backup of the local works fine with the console open or closed.